• Savannah Renberg, a Wesley Chapel High School senior, is one of 16 finalists statewide in the 2014 Distinguished Young Women Program. The national scholarship program inspires high school girls to develop their full, individual potential through a fun, transformative experience that culminates in a celebratory showcase of their accomplishments. Savannah will represent Pasco County on Jan. 4 at the Distinguished Young Women program in Winter Garden.
• River Ridge Middle School entered 101 students in 45 acts and received 27 Superiors (the highest rating) and 14 Excellents at the district thespian competition at Blake High School in Tampa. Chris Cavazza and Cameron Ward won Best in Show (Critic's Choice) for their duet acting scene from The Odd Couple. Sarah Corley won Best in Show in Marketing for Seussical. River Ridge Middle students also received three alternate Best in Shows for Monologue, Ensemble Acting and Pantomime.
• The following students were named Student of the Month at Schrader Elementary School: Amber Borth, Autumn Bartucci, Anna Healy, Kayla Nguyen, Serena Blair, Aiden Bravo, Alora Scott, Jose Robles, Collin Boone, Alexa Babraitis, Paris Sager, John Morissette, Jacob Bashinelle and Austin Terry.
• Gulfside Elementary students, families and staff collected more than 294 pounds of food during a canned food drive to help needy families at Metropolitan Ministries in Holiday.
• Pasco County's Take Stock in Children was named a charity recipient by Eric Johnson, who was honored as a Community Hero during the Dec. 5 Tampa Bay Lightning game. Johnson is a history teacher at Fivay High School and believed in the Take Stock in Children philosophy as a way to break the cycle of poverty through education. The donation will provide funds for a Pasco County student to attend two years of college, tuition and fees paid through the Take Stock in Children program. Matching funds will be provided by the Florida Prepaid College Foundation.