FCAT retakes through Friday
FTE week, Monday-Friday
Oct. 18: End of first quarter
Moon Lake Elementary: Family Literacy Night is at 6 p.m. Thursday.
• Classical Preparatory School, a charter school that will open in fall 2014 in Land O'Lakes, has launched a website. To learn more about what the school has to offer, go to classicalprep.org.
• A collection of works by the art students of Day Spring Academy Middle School will be included in the "Small World, Big Love" exhibit held through October at the Downtown New Port Richey Art Gallery, 6231 Grand Blvd. For information, call (727) 848-6500.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel, (813) 794-8772 or (727) 774-8772
• "Sound and Vision" by the University of Tampa Wind Ensemble, 7 p.m. Tuesday. Free.
• John Long Middle band/orchestra concert, 7 p.m. Thursday.
• John Long Middle choral concert, 7 p.m. Friday.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey, (727) 774-7381
• Gulf Middle Chamber Winds concert, 7 p.m. Monday.
• J.W. Mitchell High band concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
•Tuesday is the deadline to apply for the 2014 Barnes Scholarships. Four scholarships will be awarded at $15,000 per year. Semifinalists will receive $1,000. Scholarships will be awarded based on academic achievement, financial need, community service and evidence of overcoming significant obstacles. Apply at tampabay.com/scholarships.
Centennial Park, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday, (727) 834-3204
• Paws for Friendship therapy dog reading event, 4-4:30 p.m. Thursday. Elementary ages.
• Anime club, 2-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Grades 6-12.
Hudson Regional, 8012 Library Road, (727) 861-3040
• Board games, books and movie night, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday. Teens.
• Scott "Stormin" Norman: Picasso of Pumpkin Carving program, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Saturday.
Hugh Embry, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City, (352) 567-3576
• Tween-Teen YuGiOh! Club, 4-5:30 p.m. Wednesday.. Grades 5-12.
• Pathfinder Game, 4-6 p.m. Thursday. Grades 6-12.
• Family movie matinee, 2-4 p.m. Saturday.
Land O'Lakes, 2818 Collier Parkway, (813) 929-1214
• Teen Iron Chef, 6-8 p.m. Tuesday. Assemble a team of up to four and compete against other teams to create the best dishes using only an available selection of ingredients. Each dish must contain the mystery ingredient, which will be revealed the night of the event. Cooking experience is not required. Space is limited to 25 contestants. Call (813) 929-1214 to sign up or show up by 5:45 that night to register.
• "Hundreds of Hats," Family Night Out, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Stories, crafts and games.
• Taste of Sunshine, 5-6 p.m. Wednesday. Children in grades 3-5 discuss the current Sunshine State Readers.
• Reading Buddies, 10-11 a.m. Saturday. Elementary school readers gather for reading practice with a volunteer. Bring your favorite book or choose one from the library. Call the library to register.
• Kids crafts/spooky creations, 2-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
New Port Richey, 5939 Main St., (727) 853-1279
• Halloween Craft, 4 p.m. Tuesday. Ages 4-11.
New River, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills, (813) 788-6375
• Homework Help, 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesday, Friday by appointment only. Grades 1-5.
• Teen advisory board, 6-6:30 p.m. Thursday.
• Teen costume competition and improv games, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday. Grades 6-12.
• Cite it Right research workshop, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday. Covers primary versus secondary sources, locating sources, databases, advanced searching, copyright/intellectual property rights, plagiarism, citations and more. Teens.
• Craft Corner, 2-3 p.m. Saturday. Elementary ages.
• R.P.G. gaming, 2-3:45 p.m. Saturday. Teens.
Regency Park, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey, (727) 861-3049
• Werewolves of Miller Costume Contest, 4-5:45 p.m. Wednesday. Grades 6-12.
• Tail Waggin' Tutors, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Thursday. Story time with therapy dogs for grades K-5.
• The Haunted Library, 2-3 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
South Holiday, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, Holiday, (727) 834-3331
• LEGO maniacs, 4:30-6 p.m. Tuesday. Grades K-5.
• Murder Mystery Theater, 6 p.m. Wednesday.. Grades 6-12.
• One Eye Open craft, 2-4 p.m. Saturday. Grades 4-7.
Send your school news to firstname.lastname@example.org.