• Aug. 28: Adult education graduation
• Sept. 1: Labor Day, no school
• The African American Club of Pasco will host a Fall Program on Creative Arts for children in kindergarten through sixth grade. The 10-week program will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. each Saturday beginning Sept. 6 at the former Booker T. Washington School, 6105 Pine Hill Road, Port Richey. Children will have the opportunity to try their talents in dance, acting, singing, beginning Spanish, geography, scientific technology, crafts, computer skills and creative writing. There is no charge for the program, and snacks will be provided. A show for parents, friends and members will be held Nov. 8. For information, call (727) 849-5582
• The Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey, presents "Big Screen Movie Classics — A Tribute to American Film Institute's List of 100 Top Movies" at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Featured movie is Singin' in the Rain. Suggested donation is $3. Proceeds benefit the center's equipment and operation funds.
• Children of all ages are welcome to come share a story with a teen or adult volunteer in the Reading Buddies program from 10 a.m. to noon most Saturdays at the Land O'Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway. To reserve a reading buddy, call (813) 929-1214. For information on Pasco County Library events held at all branches, go to pascolibraries.org. For information on events held at the New Port Richey Public Library, go to nprlibrary.org.
• The Pasco County Schools' transportation department has opened a temporary call center for those who have questions or concerns about bus transportation. Hours are 6:30 to 10 a.m. and 2 to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday through Aug. 29. For west Pasco, call (727) 774-2500; central Pasco (813) 794-2500 and east Pasco (352) 524-2500.
• The Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education program and the National Alliance on Mental Illness Pasco present "Mental Illness in the Classroom," a free workshop for teachers of grades six to 12. The workshop will be 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 16 at NAMI Pasco, Jallo Plaza, 6480 Land O'Lakes Blvd., Land O'Lakes. Attendees will learn how to recognize the early signs of mental illness and substance abuse in adolescents, understand how best to intervene so that youth are linked with services and use informational text to address difficult topics in the classroom.
There will be presentations by mental health advocates, education professionals and Florida Standards experts; complimentary curriculum supplements and handouts; strategies for close reading, writing activities and document-based questions. Refreshments will be served. Teachers will receive a certificate of attendance. Space is limited. Deadline is Oct. 10. Register now at tampabay.com/nie.
• The GTE Foundation Scholarship Program recently awarded $90,000 to 36 local high school and undergraduate students. The following Pasco County graduates were each awarded a $2,500 scholarship: Wesley Roth, Wiregrass Ranch: Julide Iye, Gulf High School; Raymond Berger, Ridgewood High; Austin Stone, J.W. Mitchell High.
• The African American Club of Pasco presented two scholarships to Deborah Alexandra Walther of Sunlake High and Jamaree Ried of Anclote High.
Send your school news to [email protected]