Tuesday: Middle and high school registration/orientation.
Wednesday: Elementary school registration/orientation.
Aug. 18: First day of school for students
• Ridgewood High School, Marchman Tech, Chasco Middle and Calusa and Chasco Elementary present a "Back to School Bash," from 8:30-11 a.m. Saturday at Ridgewood High, 7650 Orchid Lake Road, Port Richey. This event is for parents and students who would like to take advantage of resources, services and supplies to kick off the new school year.
• "Back to School/End of Summer Bash" for Gulfside Elementary, Paul R. Smith Middle and Anclote High students, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in the Paul R. Smith Middle cafeteria, 1410 Sweetbriar Drive, Holiday. There will be free haircuts, free sports physicals and immunizations, food, games, activities, music and vendors. For information, call (727) 375-8801, ext. 2232
• For the local community, a "Back to School Bash" will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Veterans Memorial Park, 14333 Hicks Road, Hudson. Free school supplies while quantities last, plus a bounce house, inflatable slide, music and refreshments. For information, call (727) 861-3033.
• Zephyrhills Community Block Party will be 7:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday for families of students attending any of the seven Zephyrhills schools. There will be a free pancake breakfast (while supplies last) beginning at 7:30 a.m. Free backpacks, filled with school supplies, will be given to the first 400 school-age students in attendance. Local agencies and organizations will be on hand to conduct free physicals and eye exams. More than 25 vendors will provide families with information on before- and after-school activities, back-to-school needs, and many other services. Organizations will collect dresses, shoes, ties and suits for the Cinderella Project. For a complete list of vendors and activities go to zap2011.wix.com/zap-fl.
• The Firing Line, 6123 Ridge Road, Port Richey, is accepting donations for the Equipped to Learn school supply drive through Aug. 17. For information, call (727) 849-7457 or email firingline email@example.com
• Centennial Middle: 6-8 p.m. Thursday for sixth-grade students; 6 p.m. Aug. 28 for grades 7-8.
• Ridgewood High: 6:30-8 p.m. Aug. 25.
• River Ridge Middle: 6-8 p.m. Aug. 25.
• Gulf High: 6 p.m. Aug. 26.
• J.W. Mitchell High: 6:30 p.m. Aug. 27.
• Middle and high school art teachers and instructors looking for a place to exhibit student work might find some space in Picasso Hall for Emerging Artists at the Downtown New Port Richey Art Gallery, 6231 Grand Blvd. All media are acceptable for monthly exhibits during the school year including paintings, pastels, collages, photography, digital art, posters, upcycled and mixed media. Instructors and students are encouraged to participate in the hanging of the exhibition and are invited to attend the opening reception, along with friends and family, to discuss their work. Local instructors who are interested in setting up an exhibit should contact the gallery at (727) 848-6500 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
•The Sertoma Speech & Hearing West Pasco Sertoma Club is seeking volunteers to help screen students for the 2014-15 school year. Last year Sertoma screened more than 13,000 students with the help of local volunteers. Former and new volunteers must fill out a new application for a background check. Find the application at: tinyurl.com/n5l6sad. Copies of clearance letters from the School Board should be emailed to email@example.com. For information, call Pat Manfredo, Hearing Screening Coordinator, at (813) 391-0919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Planning on volunteering at your child's school or chaperoning a field trip? You will need to fill out an application for a background check. Pick up an application during registration or complete and submit online at pasco.k12.fl.us/communications/volunteer.
• Today is the deadline to register for the ACT to be administered on Sept. 13. Late registration (with fee) is Aug. 22. Go to actstudent.org.