Feb. 17: President's Day, no school.
Feb. 25-26: FCAT 2.0 writing.
• Applications are being accepted for the 31st Heritage Arts Spotlight on Talent competition for youngsters up to 18 years of age. The regional performing arts competition awards $3,000 in trophies, ribbons and cash prizes to winners in various age categories and a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating senior. Deadline to enter is Thursday. Auditions are March 1. Final show is March 29 at the Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel. Tickets for adults are $12, or both shows for $20. Student tickets (through high school) are $6, both shows for $10 (under 5 is free). For application and information go to heritagearts.org/. Community sponsors are needed. Call (352) 567-1720.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7381:
• Mainstreet Kids Club, 10:30 a.m. and noon Tuesday. Grades 1-5. $5.
• River Ridge High prefestival band concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Big Screen Movie Classics, Casablanca (1944), 6 p.m. Thursday $3.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. (813) 794-8772 or (727) 774-8772
• Manhattan Jazz and the Anderson Brothers, 7 p.m. Monday. $10; $5 for seniors and students.
• The Mainstreet Kids' Club presents Math Start Musical, at 10:30 a.m. and noon Wednesday. $4.
• Eagles Tribute — The Long Run, 7:30 p.m. Feb. 15. $20; $15 for seniors and students.
• The Pasco County School Board will host informational community meetings concerning Common Core standards from 6 to 8 p.m. at the following dates and schools:
West Pasco: Tuesday at Hudson High; Thursday at River Ridge High; Feb. 27 at Ridgewood High.
Central Pasco: Feb. 25 at Sunlake High.
East Pasco: Feb. 20 at Zephyrhills High; March 4 at Wiregrass Ranch High.
• Marchman Technical Education Center hosts a Sneak-Peek for prospective students and parents from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the school, 7825 Campus Drive, New Port Richey. Information will be available on a variety of programs offering industry certifications as well as financial aid opportunities for qualifying adults. For information, call (727) 774-1700.
• The Culinary Arts Program at Fivay High School is hosting an awareness and fundraising dinner, Fly Away with Fivay, to support students with autism spectrum disorder. The dinner is at 5 p.m. Feb. 22 in the school atrium. The cost is $25 per person with proceeds going to the school's Autism Spectrum Disorder Program. Sponsor may buy tables (serving 8) for $200. Because of limited seating, guests must RSVP at fivay.rsvpify.com. Payment can be made in checks made out to Fivay High School and delivered to chef Stefanie Adams during school hours or mailed to: Fivay High School, 12115 Chicago Ave., Hudson, FL, 34669.
• School Choice Open Enrollment Applications for the 2014-15 school year will be accepted through March 1. The School Choice Open Enrollment initiative provides an opportunity for a Pasco County student to attend a public school outside the student's assigned boundary area, or a public schools in neighboring counties, if the requested school is not critically overcrowded. Applications must be received electronically. For information and guidelines, go to www.pasco.k12.fl.us/ed_choice/school_choice/registration.
Centennial Park, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday, (727) 834-3204.
• Teen Advisory Board, 4 p.m. Tuesday. Grades 6-12.
• Lego Club. Wednesday, 4 p.m. Wednesday.. For kids of all ages and their families.
• PAWS for Friendship, 4-4:30 p.m. Thursday. Read aloud to a furry friend. Elementary ages.
• Anime Club, 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15. Grades 6-12.
Hudson Regional, 8012 Library Road, (727) 861-3040.
• Tween Time Crafts, 2-3 p.m. Feb. 15. Grades 4-7.
Land O'Lakes, 2818 Collier Parkway, (813) 929-1214.
• Teen Advisory Board, 6 p.m. Tuesday. Grades 6-12.
• Anti-Valentine's Day Dance, 6 p.m. Feb. 14, 2014. Admission is free, as are the regular snacks and drinks. A $5 donation to the Friends of the Library, gains admission to the VIP Room all night, for unlimited video gaming, plus free pizza, Monster and (non-Valentine's) candy. Grades 6-12.
• Beginning Mandarin Chinese, 10 a.m. Feb. 15 Ages 10 and up.
• Reading Buddies, 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 15. Children of all ages are welcome to come share a story with a teen or adult volunteer. Call to register.
• Kids Crafts: It's Never Too Late for Love, 2 p.m. Feb. 15. Kids Crafts and story. Grades K-5.
New River, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills, (813) 788-6375.
• Homework Help, 3:30 - 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays. Grades 1-5.
• Knitting Club, 6 p.m. Thursday. Bring a pair of size 8 knitting needles and a ball of #4 yarn. Grades 6 and above.
• Teen Chocolate Extravaganza, 3:30 p.m. Friday. Grades 6-12.
• Tween Craft Program, 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Grades 4-7.
• RPG Gaming, 2 p.m. Feb. 15. Grades 4 and above.
Regency Park, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey, (727) 861-3049.
Anime Club. 4 p.m. Wednesday. Discuss and watch popular anime. For teens, grades 6-12.
• Read to your BFF, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Thursday. Kids in grades K-5 can read to therapy dogs.
• Elephant and Piggie Party, 2 p.m. Saturday. Celebrate with characters from author Mo Willims' books. Grades K-5.
South Holiday, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, (727) 834-3312.
• Lego Maniacs, 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. Grades K-5.
• Live Action Candy Land, 2 p.m. Saturday. Grades 4-7.
• Anti-Valentine's Overnight Lock-In, 6 p.m. Saturday to 8 a.m. Feb. 16. Space is limited and permission slips are required to attend. Grades 6-12.
Send your school news to firstname.lastname@example.org
This article has been updated with the following correction:
The Pasco County School Board will host an informational community meeting concerning Common Core standards from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at River Ridge High School. An item in Sunday's Top of the Class page listed an incorrect date.