The holidays are fast approaching and as usual, schools are looking to pitch in to help the needy. This year looks to be a little tougher for many — particularly with the high unemployment rate in Florida.
Saturday, the West Zephyrhills Elementary ABC committee will once again provide families with Thanksgiving meals that have been prepared by the cafeteria staff. Other schools are looking for people in the community to help by sponsoring a child or a family through the ABC (Assist, Believe and Care) committees at Pasco County schools.
Canned food drives are up and running at Anclote and Hudson high schools, and student leaders will collect donations on Saturday at a few supermarkets. Leaders in Hudson's student clubs have set a goal to double last year's donations so they can feed 150 families for Thanksgiving and provide enough food for about a week's worth of meals.
Students, parents and community members are welcome to participate by sending monetary donations to the school ABC committees or dropping canned food off at the school of their choice. To help, check out the food drives below or contact the ABC committee at the school.
• Anclote High: "Fill the SRO's Squad Car Trunk" food drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Winn-Dixie, U.S. 19, Holiday.
• Centennial Middle, 38505 Centennial Road, Dade City: Ongoing food drive.
• Hudson Elementary, 7229 Hudson Ave.: Food drive through December.
• Hudson High: Students will collect food from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Publix, Little Road and State Road 52, Hudson; Publix, Little Road and Hudson Avenue, Hudson; Winn-Dixie, SR 52 and Moon Lake Road, Hudson/Bayonet Point.
• Marlowe Elementary: "Feed a Child's Belly with Peanut Butter and Jelly" drive. The goal is to collect 2,000 jars of peanut butter and jelly and beat last year's total of 1,200, which earned the school the Florida School Nutrition Association Humanitarian Award. It's all donated to a local food bank before the winter break. Ends Dec. 15.
• Pasco Middle: ABC community yard sale, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday on the school track, 13925 14th St., Dade City. Spaces are $15 and seller keeps all profits. Call (352) 524-8000 to rent a space.
• Schrader Elementary: Canned food drive through Nov. 23.