• FCAT testing, Monday-Friday
• May 6: Kindergarten registration begins
• The Hudson Middle Jazz Band will perform at 1:30 p.m. today at the Hernando Jazz Society concert at the Wellington Club House, 400 Wexford Blvd., Spring Hill.
• The American Cancer Society Relay for Life of Wiregrass will host "The Next Great Singer" contest with finalist performances at 6 p.m. today at Quail Hollow Country Club, Wesley Chapel. Tickets cost $10. Visit thenextgreatsinger.com.
• Arts in Motion Community Youth Theatre & Art Education presents Beauty and the Beast at 7 p.m. May 3-4 and 2 p.m. May 4-5 at Pasco Middle, 13925 14th St., Dade City. Tickets are $15 for adults, $7 for students at ArtsInMotionPasco.org.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey (727) 774-7380.
• Schrader Elementary Talent Show, 6:30 p.m. Friday.
• J.W. Mitchell High drama presents Into the Woods at 7:30 p.m. May 2-4 and 2 p.m. May 5. Tickets are $12 at the door; advance tickets will be sold by the cast, band and crew for $10. "Premium seating" available for $15. Call (727) 774-9200.
Wesely Chapel Center for the Arts, 30651 Wells Road. (813) 794-8772
•Quail Hollow Elementary Concert, 6:30 p.m. Friday.
• The Young Inventor's Fair for elementary students will start at 8 a.m. Saturday at the Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road. Awards at 3 p.m.
• Denham Oaks Elementary, 1422 Oak Grove Blvd., Lutz, will host a Kindergarten Parent Information Night from 6 to 7 p.m. April 30. Parents and incoming kindergarteners may tour the school, meet teachers and pick up paperwork. (813) 794-1600.
• The Early Learning Coalition of Pasco and Hernando Counties is accepting walk-in appointments for School Readiness, which provides funds to pay a portion of child care costs for low to moderate income families so they may seek and maintain employment or attend school full time. Call or visit the coalition's offices at the Dade City Business Center, 15000 U.S. 301, (352) 834-0052; or in New Port Richey at 7334 Little Road, Suite 102, (727) 569-1004. For information about eligibility, visit www.phelc.org/SchoolReadiness.php or call (727) 233-8291.
• These students at Moore Mickens Education Center were named to the Principal's Straight A Honor Roll for the third quarter: Richard Costner, Ambar Moreno, Abbie Musgrove, Celeste Toj Yat, Gilberto Bonew-Davila, Dustin Chancey, Mark Jordan, Jacob Stanley and Joshua Taylor.
• These students were winners at the National History Day Fair held at Hudson Middle and represented their school at the district fair in March at Rushe Middle School: Exhibits: Group: Justin Bennett and Javier Lozada for "The Invention of Flight." Individual: Grace Graziaplene for "Brown vs. The Board of Education" and Ryan Savoldy for "Nazis' Rise to Power." Papers: Thomas Bivins for "The Berlin Wall." Documentaries: Katelynn Johnson for "The Rise & Fall of Adolf Hitler." Websites: Individual: Truman Smith for "Cuban Missile Crisis,"(27975241.nhd.weebly.com) and Nathan Hooks for "The Birth of Television" (94071302.nhd.weebly.com).
Send school news to [email protected] or fax to (813) 909-4611.