Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Piece of Hillsborough school security plan re-emerges

TAMPA — Hillsborough County School Board members last month voted down most of superintendent MaryEllen Elia's school security plan, saying they needed more time to consider how best to protect the district.

But a piece of the plan will likely come back up next week.

Member Candy Olson, alarmed at news reports of a principal who was assaulted Monday at an elementary school near Lakeland, said she would like the board to reconsider a plan to tighten access at 10 percent of the district's schools. The other 90 percent are already considered secure.

"I think there's too many risks to our children and our teachers and our adults," Olson said during a board workshop Tuesday.

Estimates showed it would cost $1.2 million to make the improvements. Elia proposed them as part of a larger package that included armed guards at all elementary schools.

The board meets Tuesday.

Piece of Hillsborough school security plan re-emerges 02/12/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:30am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Jordan Spieth wins British Open


    SOUTHPORT, England — Someday, perhaps soon, there will be a plaque at Royal Birkdale for Jordan Spieth, much like the one off the 16th hole that celebrates Arnold Palmer and the 6-iron he slashed out of the rough in 1961 to usher in a new era of golf.

    Jordan Spieth, left, stands on a mound to look at his ball on the 13th hole after hitting onto the driving range.
  2. Fennelly: Brutal weekend could be start of something worse for Rays

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — Well, that was lovely.

    Brad Boxberger suffers his second loss in the three-game series, this time by allowing back-to-back homers in the eighth inning when called on to protect a 5-3 lead. “Just bad pitches,” he says.
  3. Wesley Chapel hockey camp impresses youth players, parents

    Lightning Strikes

    WESLEY CHAPEL — As a 17-year-old Triple-A hockey player, MacCallum Brown regularly plays against elite talent. As a Palm Harbor resident, he often has to travel to face that talent.

  4. Rays claim not to be panicking after third straight brutal loss to Rangers

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — There was no "here we go again" moment in the dugout as Rougned Odor's two-run homer in the eighth inning arced across Tropicana Field and toward the rightfield seats, even though when it landed, the score was tied and another late-inning Rays lead was blown.

    Rays third baseman Evan Longoria heads back to the dugout after fouling out in the ninth inning with the potential tying run on first.
  5. White House signals acceptance of Russia sanctions bill


    WASHINGTON — The White House indicated Sunday that President Donald Trump would accept new legislation imposing sanctions on Russia and curtailing his authority to lift them on his own, a striking turnaround after a broad revolt in Congress by lawmakers of both parties who distrusted his friendly approach to …

    President Donald Trump’s ability to lift sanctions against Russia would be blocked.