Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pinellas heightens security at 10 schools

The Pinellas school system is increasing security at nine elementary schools and one middle school in response to principals' fears after the December mass shooting in Newtown, Conn.

Michael Bessette, associate superintendent for operational services, said Wednesday that eight schools will receive electronic locks and buzzers for their front doors so that administrators can control access to the buildings.

Doorbells already have been installed at two more schools where clerks sit close enough to the entrances that a buzz-in system isn't necessary.

One school may also receive a video camera outside the front door because the school's windows are tinted and difficult to see through at night.

Additionally, all 74 elementary schools in Pinellas will receive doorbells for rooms such as cafeterias used for after-school programs. Staffers will be instructed to lock the doors and approve who enters each time the bell rings.

Bessette said last month that he was visiting Pinellas campuses to decide which schools would benefit from locks and buzzers. Principals began requesting them after a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, killing 20 children and six adults.

In many cases, Bessette said, buzz-in access would not improve school security as drastically as people might imagine.

"For the most part, the bad guy is not going to come up with an AK-47 slung across his chest," he said. "For the most part, they're going to look like you or me and you're going to think they're an aunt or mother and let them in."

But the school system did decide to grant the wishes of schools where parents and teachers were rallying hard for the buzzers. In some cases, school officials had concerns about people in the neighborhood, sometimes homeless men, who would frequently enter the schools and bother staffers, Bessette said.

Citing safety concerns, officials declined to name the 10 schools with new safety equipment.

Bessette said he feared that people who would do harm could read the list of schools and say, "Those are the ones we're not going to go to; we'll go to the other ones."

But as School Board member Linda Lerner pointed out, the locations will soon be an open secret as parents try to open doors that won't give.

"With buzzers, I think people will find out pretty quickly," said Lerner, who plans to ask for more details about the new security measures at a School Board workshop next week.

The cost for each school's new security system ranges from $300 to $900, Bessette said. Work orders for all the schools had been put out by Wednesday.

School Board Chairwoman Carol Cook said she was pleased to see the school system taking a campus-by-campus approach to school security.

A county commissioner's idea to put a trained school resource officer in every Pinellas elementary school received a tepid response from the School Board in January.

"I think what happened at Sandy Hook caused us to focus in a little sooner than we would have, with a little more intensity," Cook said. "And as we look at every single school, we can plug in any gaps or holes there may be, or even just look at it with a set of fresh eyes."

Bessette's staff will continue to visit campuses every year to check security, as they have in the past. As far as addressing the extra concerns that followed Newtown, he said these changes at the 10 schools mark the end of "round one."

But there will be a round two.

"We did review sites, and we saw some sites where they needed to tweak things," Bessette said. "We're going to go back."

Lisa Gartner can be reached at lgartner@tampabay.com or (727) 893-8707. You can also follow her on Twitter @lisagartner.

Pinellas heightens security at 10 schools 02/13/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:59pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Boy Scouts apologize over Trump's remarks at jamboree

    National

    Facing an angry backlash from parents and former members, the chief executive of the Boy Scouts of America apologized on Thursday for political remarks made by President Donald Trump at the organization's national jamboree this week, during which the commander-in-chief crowed over his election victory, attacked the news …

    President DonaldTrump, front left, gestures as former boys scouts, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, left, Energy Secretary Rick Perry, watch at the 2017 National Boy Scout Jamboree at the Summit in Glen Jean, W.Va. Boy Scouts president Randall Stephenson told the Associated Press on Wednesday, July 26, in his first public comments on the furor over President Donald Trump's speech on Monday that he'd be "disingenuous" if he suggested he was surprised by the Republican president's comments. [Associated Press]
  2. Drones restrictions coming at Tampa Bay area airports

    Airlines

    Starting Sept. 1, Tampa International Airport officials will be enforcing new height restrictions for drones and other unmanned aircraft systems, according to a press release.

    In this February 2017 file photo, a drone flies in Hanworth Park in west London. Starting Sept. 1, Tampa International Airport officials will be enforcing new height restrictions for drones and other unmanned aircraft systems,
[John Stillwell/PA via AP, File]
  3. Hit-run driver who refused to leave van threatened to shoot, Hillsborough deputies say

    Public Safety

    TAMPA — Eddie Carly Colon Soto peeked his head out the broken side window of his van as a SWAT team closed in.

    The driver of this van tried to flee the scene of a crash in north Tampa Thursday morning until he could travel no farther, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said. Then he refused to leave the van and threatened sheriff's deputies, they said. [TONY MARRERO   |   Times]
  4. Get the latest Tampa Bay Buccaneers news delivered daily to your email inbox

    Bucs

    They narrowly missed the playoffs by thismuch.

    Bucs wide receiver Mike Evans (13) celebrates with quarterback Jameis Winston (3) after they connected for a touchdown during a win over the Seattle Seahawks in November in Tampa. [LOREN ELLIOTT | Times]
  5. Police release name of man found dead in north Tampa vacant lot

    Crime

    TAMPA — Authorities have released the name of a man found dead in a vacant lot in north Tampa on Tuesday and have confirmed his death is a homicide.