School discovery nights begin for Pinellas special programs
MELISSA LYTTLE | Times (2010)
Pinellas County Center for the Arts at Gibbs High has a Discovery Night on Thursday.
The process to apply for magnet, fundamental or career programs in the Pinellas County School District intensifies this week with the first of many discovery nights and the last of two information fairs.
Discovery nights give parents, guardians and students a chance to tour schools, meet teachers and administrators and ask questions about the programs. All discovery nights begin at 6 p.m. and typically last 60 to 90 minutes.
Those who can't make it to a discovery night can get a feel for numerous programs at one location. The district's final information fair is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Gibbs High School, 850 34th St. S in St. Petersburg. Representatives from each program will be there with information and answers to questions.
Now is the time to get informed on the district's special programs before the application period, Jan. 8-17.
For details on school locations, visit pcsb.org. For more information about special programs, contact individual schools or the Office of Advanced Studies at (727) 588-6466. For information about the application process, contact the Student Assignment Office at (727) 588-6210.
© 2013 Tampa Bay Times
Discovery nights this week
• Madeira Beach Fundamental (elementary and middle school programs)
• Advanced International Certificate of Education – Clearwater High
• Career Academy for International Culture and Commerce – Clearwater High
•Advanced International Certificate of Education – Tarpon Springs High
• Jacobson Culinary Arts Academy – Tarpon Springs High
• Leadership Conservatory for the Arts – Tarpon Springs High
•Veterinary Science Academy – Tarpon Springs High
• Tarpon Springs Fundamental Elementary
• Middle Grades Engineering Gateway to Technology – East Lake High (The new engineering gateway program for middle school students will be taught at East Lake High. The discovery night is at the high school.)
• Center for Computer Technology – Countryside High
• Institute for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics – Countryside High
• Center for Gifted Studies – Ridgecrest Elementary
•Academy of Engineering – East Lake High
•Business Economics Technology Academy – Gibbs High
• Pinellas County Center for the Arts – Gibbs High