School discovery nights continue for Pinellas magnets, fundamentals
When it comes to discovery nights, the coming week is one of the busiest of the season. Seventeen programs throughout the Pinellas County School District will open their doors.
Discovery nights are for students, parents and guardians interested in exploring magnet, fundamental and career academy programs for the 2014-15 school year. The events offer school tours, and educators will be on hand to discuss details of the programs.
The sessions continue through Jan. 8, when the application period for special programs begins.
Many programs also offer tours at other times, as well as opportunities for prospective students to "shadow" an older student during a school day. Families should contact individual programs for information.
Discovery nights begin at 6 p.m. and usually last 60 to 90 minutes. Visit pcsb.org for details.
© 2016 Tampa Bay Times
Discovery nights this week
• Montessori Academy — Gulfport Elementary
• Academy of Finance — Northeast High
• Academy of Information Technology — Northeast High
• Automotive Academy — Northeast High
• Center for Culinary Arts — Northeast High
• Lakeview Fundamental Elementary
• Center for Advancement of the Sciences and Technology (CAST) — Bay Point Middle
• Criminal Justice Academy — Pinellas Park High
• Center for Gifted Studies — Thurgood Marshall Fundamental Middle
• Thurgood Marshall Fundamental Middle
• Academy of Architectural Design and Building Technologies — Dunedin High
• Dunedin Fundamental school-within-a-school — Dunedin High
• Center for Mathematics and Engineering — Jamerson Elementary
• Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) — Dixie Hollins High
• Center for Culinary Arts — Dixie Hollins High
• Graphic Arts Academy — Dixie Hollins High
• Center for Education and Leadership — Seminole High
Dates to remember
Jan. 8-17: Application period begins for magnet, fundamental and career programs.
Jan. 17: Deadline to submit documentation of eligibility for programs with entrance criteria.
Feb. 6-13: Acceptance period. Students who get invited to a program must accept or their application will be voided.