• Schools will be closed on Jan. 19 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• The Hernando County Teacher of the Year celebration will be held at 7 p.m. Jan. 31 in the Hernando High School auditorium.
• The School Board will have a workshop at 2 p.m. Jan. 20. The regular meeting will be at 7 p.m. the same day.
F.W. SPRINGSTEAD HIGH
An oldies dance Jan. 9 will raise money for Kyle Lane, 14, who is on a waiting list for a double lung transplant. His mother is a substitute teacher at Springstead, and his brother, Tyler, attends the school. The dance will be held from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. at 1338 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Donation is $10, and there will be a raffle. Donations and raffle items are needed and can be taken or sent to Springstead High School, 3300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill, FL 34609. To arrange for items to be picked up or to get more information, call Nilsa Colon Toro at 797-7010.
FOX CHAPEL MIDDLE:
The Family Involvement Team will meet from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Jan. 14 at the District Office.
• The School Advisory Council/Title I Committee will meet from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 26 in the media center.
• Parents, there will be a "Dangerous Drugs in Your Neighborhood" workshop from 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 28 in the media center. Deputy Gargano of the Hernando County Sheriff's Office will be the presenter.
A blood drive will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. Jan. 7.
• The School Advisory Council will meet at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 25 in the media center.
PINE GROVE ELEMENTARY:
The next Chick-fil-A Spirit Night, hosted by the fifth-grade teachers, will be Jan. 7. The school gets a percentage of the evening's receipts.
• The Advisory Council will meet at 4:15 p.m. Jan. 8 in the Music Room. All parents and community members are invited. For information, call the school at 707-7090.
Fourth-grade teachers will have a Parent Writing Workshop for parents/guardians of fourth-graders at 6 p.m. Jan. 13. Teachers will talk about two types of writing that will be found on the Florida Writes test and how parents can prepare their children. To register, call Adrienne Brunner at 797-7080, ext. 254.
• The school will host an Edible Math Night for kindergarten through fifth grade at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 20 in the cafeteria. Parents and students can visit math stations to learn ways to use food at home to practice math. For information, call the Family Center at 797-7080, ext. 255.
Top of the Class is taking a break. It will resume Jan. 15.
Paulette Lash Ritchie can be reached at email@example.com.