Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Superintendent hunt loses another

LARGO — The list of finalists to be Pinellas County's next school superintendent is down to four.

Barbara M. Jenkins, chief of staff with Orange County schools in Orlando, notified the School Board on Tuesday that she was withdrawing her name from contention. She said in a letter that the timing of a potential move to Pinellas would not be good for her family and that Orange officials had asked her to stay.

"In the end I was intensely drawn to the success and future potential here in (Orange County Public Schools) and committed to remain a part of this high-performing team," Jenkins wrote.

Her exit leaves four candidates: Alberto M. Carvalho, an associate superintendent from Miami-Dade schools; Nicholas M. Gledich, chief operations officer for Orange County schools; Julie Janssen, the interim Pinellas superintendent; and Sherrie Nickell, an associate superintendent for Polk County schools.

The finalists are scheduled to be interviewed by the School Board on Aug. 27 and 28.

The rest of the selection process will go as follows:

Sept. 2: School Board workshop to discuss the initial interviews; special board meeting to select candidates who will be invited back for a second interview.

Sept. 8: Second interviews with returning candidates followed by public sessions featuring those candidates.

Sept. 9: Regular School Board meeting inviting public input on the candidates.

Sept. 10: School Board workshop to discuss Sept. 8 interviews; meetings to narrow the list further and discuss possible visits to finalists' districts.

Sept. 22: School Board workshop to discuss selection of the final candidate.

Sept. 23: Regular School Board meeting to vote on the new superintendent.

Thomas C. Tobin can be reached at tobin@sptimes.com or (727) 893-8923.

Superintendent hunt loses another 08/12/08 [Last modified: Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:28pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Amazon receives 238 proposals from places eager to become its 2nd headquarters

    Business

    NEW YORK — Amazon said Monday that it received 238 proposals from cities and regions in the United States, Canada and Mexico hoping to be the home of the company's second headquarters.

    Earlier this month, an Amazon employee gives her dog a biscuit as the pair head into a company building, where dogs are welcome, in Seattle. Amazon says it received 238 proposals from cities and regions hoping to be the home of the company's second headquarters. 
[AP Photo/Elaine Thompson]
  2. Police may have found the body of a Texas toddler whose dad said he banished her to an alley

    Nation

    Police in Texas say they have "most likely" found the body of Sherin Mathews, the missing 3-year-old girl whose father claims he sent her alone into an alley when she wouldn't drink her milk.

    This undated photo provided by the Richardson Texas Police Department shows 3-year-old Sherin Mathews. Police in a Dallas suburb say they've found the body of a small child, not far from the home of Sherin Mathews, who's been missing since early this month. (Richardson Texas Police Department via AP)
  3. Bucs Cannon Fodder podcast: What went wrong on defense?

    Bucs

    Greg Auman is back from Buffalo, going back over a difficult finish and tough loss for the Bucs, in his latest Cannon Fodder podcast.

    Buffalo Bills tight end Logan Thomas (82) makes a touchdown catch over Bucs defensive back T.J. Ward (43) during the second half. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]
  4. Jim McElwain: Florida Gators have received death threats after 3-3 start

    Blogs

    GAINESVILLE - The Florida Gators' 3-3 start is causing some fans to become irrational - even by college football standards.

    UF coach Jim McElwain said there have been death threats made against people related to his program.
  5. Megyn Kelly hits back at O'Reilly's claim no one complained

    Blogs

    Bill O'Reilly, forced out at Fox News over allegations of sexual harassment, has said no one ever filed a complaint about his behavior with human resources or the legal department in the 20 years he was at the network.

    Bill O'Reilly at the Newseum in Washington D.C., on October 6, 2016.