Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tampa's Middleton High leaves state list of troubled schools

TAMPA — They said it could be done, and they were right.

After two years of trying, Middleton High has succeeded in pulling itself off a short list of Florida's lowest-performing schools.

Hillsborough County superintendent MaryEllen Elia said the state decision serves as confirmation that her district and school principal Owen Young are on the right track in boosting student achievement there.

"We're thrilled with Middleton," she said. "I just know the work we've done really justified this, and I'm so glad the state saw that."

But it wasn't easy.

Middleton was one of only seven "persistently lowest-performing schools" in Florida when the Department of Education unveiled the list in 2008. It had failed to earn a grade higher than D under the state accountability system, and solid majorities of the student body were failing to pass the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test in all subjects.

The state sent inspectors and demanded a top-to-bottom shake-up. The district responded by replacing the leadership team, transferring out struggling teachers and providing extra money for staff training and support.

By last year, many Middleton students were still struggling; just 22 percent passed the FCAT in reading, down 4 percentage points from the previous year.

But the state's new school grading formula gave Middleton a boost, lending more weight to accelerated coursework in the school's highly-regarded magnet program in math, science and technology. It qualified to leave the list by earning its first C grade and showing improvements among at-risk groups in both reading and math, said Department of Education spokeswoman Cheryl Etters.

Elia said Middleton has been transformed. At Tuesday's School Board meeting, she praised students' record-breaking victory at a recent robotics championship — further evidence, she said, that the school is better than many outsiders realize.

"I think we get a very distorted view sometimes when we see a school appearing on a list," she said. "It doesn't really give a full picture."

Last summer Hillsborough officials railed at the continued inclusion of another of its schools on the list, Franklin Middle, even after it had earned two straight C grades. The state agreed to remove it after the district made plans to turn it into a single-gender academy for boys, effectively transforming it into a new school, Elia said.

Middleton's two years on the list prompted soul searching, long meetings and struggle. But Young, the school's principal, said he wasn't dwelling on the success of leaving it.

"It helped us to drill down and understand that kids weren't achieving, and that there were things that we had to do differently," Young said. "But we have a lot of work to do."

Tom Marshall can be reached at [email protected] or (813) 226-3400.

Tampa's Middleton High leaves state list of troubled schools 02/01/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:42pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921