Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Two more students sue Hillsborough school district over athletics policy

TAMPA — Two Jefferson High School sisters have sued the Hills­borough County school district, saying they should be able to play softball after transferring this academic year from Blake High School.

The suit is the second recent challenge to the district's new athletic transfer policy, which was enacted to prevent schools from recruiting star athletes. Attorney Peter Hobson, who represents the plaintiffs and handled a previous suit for a Sickles High School football player, contends the district policy deprives students of rights guaranteed by a state law that says the rules "must allow a student to be eligible in the school in which he or she first enrolls each year."

In Hillsborough, a student who enters a school past ninth grade must sit out a year of sports unless he or she meets certain criteria. A district committee makes the call, and students can appeal to the School Board.

Kayla Jo Fernandez, a senior, has lived with her grandmother near Jefferson High throughout high school and helps care for her, according to the suit filed Jan. 2. Justine Fernandez, a sophomore, entered Blake for its Urban Teaching Academy but left after learning the program no longer offered college scholarships. Although Justine lives with her parents near Hills­borough High School, she was accepted into Jefferson through the district's choice program.

District spokesman Stephen Hegarty said he could not comment on a pending lawsuit.

Two more students sue Hillsborough school district over athletics policy 01/08/14 [Last modified: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:39pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. James Wilder Jr. back at running back...in Canada

    Blogs

    Remember when former Plant High star and Florida State running back James Wilder Jr. announced he was switching to linebacker?

    That was short-lived, apparently.

  2. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas construction licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. What you need to know for Tuesday, June 27

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Former St. Petersburg mayor and current mayoral candidate Rick Baker, left, and St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman square off tonight in a debate. [Times]
  4. Once 'angry' about Obamacare, Republican David Jolly came to see it as 'safety net'

    Blogs

    Former Congressman David Jolly, who ran against Obamacare in 2013, said in an interview Monday night that he now considers it a "safety net."

  5. Five children hospitalized after chlorine release at Tampa pool store

    Accidents

    Five children were sickened at a pool store north of Tampa on Monday after a cloud of chlorine was released, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.