Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Vandalism damage at Monroe Middle School repaired in time for classes

GANDY/SUN BAY SOUTH — Monroe Middle School resumed classes on schedule Monday after three teenagers reportedly caused more than $60,000 in damage during spring break.

Two former Monroe students were arrested and another is being sought in connection with the vandalism, which occurred April 7.

Jonathan Dow, 19, faces charges of burglary, criminal mischief and preventing extinguishment of fire, while a 15-year-old boy is facing juvenile charges. They were arrested at the school.

Tampa police say the trio broke into the media center through a glass door, shattered windows, opened seven fire extinguishers and stole food.

The third suspect got away from officers by running into the mangroves behind the school.

Principal Juanita Underwood first saw the damage April 8 after some nominal cleaning.

"I've been principal at two schools now and I've never seen anything like it," she said.

Broken glass littered the floors and white dust from fire extinguishers coated floors and walls.

But when Underwood returned Saturday, it looked entirely different. "I came in Saturday and said. 'Oh my God, it looks great,' " she said.

A crew had replaced the broken glass, cleaned classrooms and even wiped down individual books at the school at 4716 W Montgomery Ave.

Originally pegged at $100,000, officials lowered the damage estimate after discovering computers in the media center were unaffected.

Underwood briefed the faculty on the situation, but said she felt it wasn't necessary to tell students about the vandalism.

Joshua Neiderer can be reached at jneiderer@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3374.

Vandalism damage at Monroe Middle School repaired in time for classes 04/16/09 [Last modified: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:30am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Yankees executive Jessica Steinbrenner seeks restraining order against ex-husband

    Civil

    TAMPA — Jessica Steinbrenner, a top executive with the New York Yankees and a daughter of the team's late owner George Steinbrenner, is seeking a restraining order against her ex-husband.

    New York Yankees excutive Jessica Steinbrenner, with her then-husband Felix Lopez Jr. in this 2008 photo, filed for a restraining order against Lopez in Hillsborough County last week. 
[Times files]
  2. Hurricane evacuations halted for lack of ambulances at VA's Young center

    Veterans

    As many as 30 patients who should have been evacuated from the C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center were left behind during Hurricane Irma because the hospital and the county couldn't agree on where they should go.

    Lorraine Johnson-Mitchell, back home in St. Petersburg on Monday, said she watched in disbelief as hospital staff seemed to scramble without a plan to evacuate patients like her from the VA medical center in St. Petersburg before Hurricane Irma. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. South Florida poaches debris pickup trucks once slotted for Tampa, officials say

    Hurricanes

    TAMPA — A week into the job of picking up an estimated 300,000 cubic yards of Hurricane Irma debris from its streets, Tampa City Hall is finding to its dismay that the challenge is more competitive than expected.

    Yard debris from the winds of Hurricane Irma line many yards along Pinellas Point Drive South, St. Petersburg, 9/22/17.
  4. Wisniewska: I protected our students and USFSP campus

    Columns

    Throughout my tenure in academia, my focus has always been on putting students first.

    The USF St. Petersburg Campus, Thursday, June 19, 2014.
  5. Bucs defensive end Chris Baker (90) is seen during training camp last month at One Buc Place. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]