ST. PETERSBURG — There has been a confirmed case of viral meningitis at Bay Point Elementary Magnet School in St. Petersburg, according to a letter sent to families Monday. Officials wouldn't say Tuesday whether a student or an adult came down with the illness. Viral meningitis is less severe than bacterial or fungal meningitis, the type that has been in the news lately due to contaminated steroid drugs used in spinal injections. Viral meningitis is most commonly caused by enteroviruses, which can be spread when someone changes a diaper or uses the toilet and doesn't properly wash hands afterward. Symptoms include sudden fever, chills and headache, sensitivity to light or back and neck stiffness.
Viral meningitis reported at St. Petersburg elementary school
© 2017 Tampa Bay Times