The following organizations are accepting scholarship applications from graduating Hernando County high school seniors:
• The Timbertones Community Chorus of Timber Pines will award a $1,000 scholarship to a student who is enrolled in vocal music classes or is participating in high school vocal music activities. A second scholarship may also be awarded. Applications are available in all county high school guidance offices or from music directors. The deadline is Feb. 22.
Applicants will be asked their musical goals and background, and are required to have an accumulated grade-point average of at least 2.8. A letter of recommendation from a vocal music teacher at the high school is required. Also, the winner must use the scholarship to further his or her musical education.
Finalists will be asked to audition before a committee led by Timbertones music director Bobbi Moger. The winner(s) will be asked to perform at the Timbertones' spring concert April 6.
For information, contact Charles Burnim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Business and Professional Women of Hernando County is accepting applications for the group's 2013 scholarship. Applications are open to high school seniors, as well as to any woman returning to college to advance her education.
Applications are available in high school guidance departments; applicants may also visit the website at bpwhernando.org or send an email to email@example.com. The application deadline is March 15. The scholarships will be awarded at the BPW meeting April 23. For information, contact Dr. Nicole Bixler at (352) 200-0220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Glen Lakes Garden Club will award a $1,000 scholarship. To be eligible for the scholarship, students must carry at least a 3.0 grade-point average and plan to major in college in a field such as horticulture, landscape design, agriculture, environmental studies, botany or turf management, or have performed at least 250 hours of volunteer activities during their time in high school.
Application forms are available in the guidance offices of all Hernando County high schools. All applications must be received by March 22. For information, contact Susan Jurkiewicz at (352) 597-6640 or email@example.com.
• The Hernando Jazz Society will award at least three $500 scholarships. Hernando County students in grades 9 to 12 may apply for the scholarships, to use for private study of instruments or voice lessons. Applications must be submitted by March 29, and must include a recording and letter of reference for a pre-audition screening. The recording can be an MP3 or WAV file; a CD may be mailed, or a file may be attached to an email.
Finalists will be invited to audition live at 1 p.m. April 13 at First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Winners will be asked to perform at the May 19 session of the Hernando Jazz Society.
Students are not eligible to win scholarships two years in a row. For information or applications, contact Louis Mauro, (352) 666-1749 or LFMcat@aol.com.
• Stage West Community Playhouse will award $6,000 in scholarships to graduates intending to study voice or theater arts. The Irv Clark Scholarship for Voice is $2,000. Three Youth Scholarships — $1,000 each — will be awarded for theater arts studies, and one Appreciation Scholarship of $1,000 will be awarded to a student who has volunteered at Stage West and may not be studying voice or theater arts.
Applications are available at Hernando County high schools or may be requested at the Stage West box office, (352) 683-5113, or by calling Linda Campo at (352) 428-4990. The deadline is April 5.