Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Teen accused in Walker Middle rape case withdraws from Jesuit High School

TAMPA — A teen accused in the Walker Middle School rape case won't be attending Jesuit High School as his family first planned.

The Rev. Richard Hermes, president of the prestigious Catholic school for boys, said Lee Myers' family notified the school Thursday morning that they'd reconsidered their decision to enroll the 14-year-old boy at the 650-student campus.

"The Myers family voluntarily withdrew Lee from the school," Hermes wrote in a letter he sent to the school's parents Thursday. "It was completely their decision, made for personal reasons, and knowing full well that we stood by our decision to admit Lee into Jesuit."

TBO.com reported on its Web site Thursday the news that Myers had been accepted by the school.

Readers unleashed a string of anonymous comments on the story, some from people who wrote they were outraged parents or donors who would be withdrawing their support from the school.

Hermes said Myers' parents told him they decided attending Jesuit wasn't in their son's best interest.

"I wasn't expecting it," Hermes said, "but given the situation, anything is possible."

Myers was admitted to Jesuit in February, three months before allegations arose implicating Myers and three other teens in sexual attacks on a fellow Walker student.

Myers' father and brother are alumni of Jesuit. The family has actively supported the school and donated "modestly" over the years, Hermes said.

Now, Myers is one of four teens charged as adults with four counts of sexual battery.

In records released last week, Myers told authorities that he and Raymond Price-Murray, 14, held the arms of a flag football teammate during a 15- to 20-second incident in the school's locker room. Afterward, Myers said, he told the victim they were just playing around.

The administration wrestled with its decision to admit Myers after the criminal charges were filed, Hermes said.

"After much prayer, deliberation and consultation with our administration, I made the decision to let our offer of admission stand," Hermes wrote in his letter.

Hermes said that throughout the process he wanted to ensure that the administration's decision was "consistent with Catholic and Jesuit principles," adding that the school's mission requires it to "promote and defend the rights of others, even when that defense is difficult in the face of contrary opinions."

While it is true that Myers has been accused of a very serious crime, the accusation is just that, a charge, not a conviction, he said.

"Like anybody else," Hermes wrote, Myers "is entitled to due process and the presumption of innocence."

Myers has no prior criminal or disciplinary history; he passed a polygraph; and he admits to only one instance of horseplay, denying the serious allegations against him, Hermes said.

In an interview with the Times, Hermes said he was not aware of where Myers would be going to school.

Hillsborough County public schools spokesman Stephen Hegarty said he couldn't comment on where any of the involved students transferred after the May allegations.

Though Myers' decision to withdraw from school changes things, Hermes told parents it was always the school's intention to "monitor the case closely and respond appropriately."

Contacted by telephone Thursday, Myers' attorney, Tim Taylor, declined to comment.

Patrice Eveld, parent of two Jesuit students, said that whatever happened — whether Myers was admitted or not — she trusted the school's judgment on the matter.

"They fine-tooth-comb people," she said. "I just hate to judge."

Rebecca Catalanello can be reached at rcatalanello@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3383.

To read Father Richard Hermes' letter in its entirety to parents, go to links.tampabay.com.

Teen accused in Walker Middle rape case withdraws from Jesuit High School 08/06/09 [Last modified: Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:36pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Tampa Bay Super Bowls: A brief history and some predictions for 2021

    Bucs

    At last, Tampa will host a Super Bowl again. It used to be that the Cigar City would host one a decade, but by the time February 2021 rolls around, it will have been 12 years since the epic showdown between the Steelers and Cardinals. Because it has been awhile, let's revisit those past Super Bowls while also peering …

    Santonio Holmes hauls in the game-winning touchdown in the Steelers' 27-23 Super Bowl XLIII victory over the Cardinals in 2009, the last time Tampa hosted a Super Bowl. [JAMES BORCHUCK | Times]
  2. Rays bats go silent in second straight loss to Angels (w/video)

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — Sure, Alex Cobb was to blame for the Rays' 4-0 loss on Tuesday.

    Derek Norris strikes out with the bases loaded as the Rays blow a golden opportunity in the seventh inning.
  3. Analysis: Manchester attack was exactly what many had long feared

    World

    LONDON — For Britain's security agencies, London always seemed like the likely target. For years, the capital of 8 million with hundreds of thousands of weekly tourists and dozens of transit hubs had prepared for and feared a major terror attack.

  4. Dade City man dies after crashing into county bus, troopers say

    Public Safety

    ZEPHYRHILLS — A 38-year-old man died Tuesday after colliding into the rear of a county bus on U.S. 301, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

  5. Suspicious device at Pinellas Park home was a spent artillery round, police say

    Public Safety

    PINELLAS PARK — Bomb squad investigators determined that a "suspicious device" found at a Pinellas Park home Tuesday afternoon was a spent artillery round, police said.