Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Online testing system fails again; angry state official calls glitches 'unacceptable'

Florida's new computerized tests ran into another round of problems Monday, drawing heightened concerns about their validity and bringing a hail of we-told-you-sos from teachers, parents and school officials.

A technical blunder prevented students from logging on early in the day to take their Florida Standards Assessments in language arts and math.

By midmorning, the Florida Department of Education announced the problem had been corrected. But it was too late for many districts — including Pinellas, Miami-Dade, Broward and Leon counties — which already had canceled testing for the day and hoped to try again today.

Hillsborough and Pasco counties were among the districts that continued to test after the problems were fixed.

The malfunction marked the second big setback in two months for the state's new testing system, which has been under fire for months. It also brought a stern response from Florida Education Commissioner Pam Stewart, who blamed the state's testing vendor and said she had "many, many adjectives to describe what I am feeling today — exasperated, frustrated, dismayed, angry. I could go on and on."

Stewart said the vendor, American Institutes for Research, known as AIR, made a technical change over the weekend that was never approved by her department and was not needed for FSA exams. She called the action "unacceptable" and said Florida would hold AIR accountable "for the disruption they have caused the state."

AIR said the problem stemmed from human error and it was reviewing its procedures. A nonprofit that describes itself as "one of the world's largest behavioral and social science research and evaluation organizations," the group apologized and took full responsibility.

Parent and teacher groups were quick to respond.

The president of the state teachers union, Andy Ford of the Florida Education Association, called on Gov. Rick Scott to suspend testing for the rest of the year so the state could address "connectivity issues" and concerns over validity.

The state PTA said in an e-mail blast that the disruption had called into question "the reliability of the FSA test," and it urged its members to call Scott. "Our children deserve better than this," the e-mail said.

Colleen Wood, founder of the group 50th No More, urged the governor to "intervene and immediately hold students and teachers harmless from this mess of a testing system." Other groups issued the same call.

"What reasonable adult can defend the FSA as a valid measure of student growth or teacher effectiveness?" Wood asked. "It is only proof of the disaster caused when politics drives education policy."

School district leaders said earlier this month they could ill afford delays such as those that plagued the FSA writing tests in March. Students had difficulty logging into those tests, and some were knocked out midway through their responses. Some were unable to return to their tests for a day or more, although most ultimately finished.

This time, with more students taking more exams, the room for schedule changes shrank, testing coordinators from several districts said. Most padded their time at the front end of last week, hoping any interruptions would happen early.

After what turned out to be a trouble-free week, school officials were optimistic the system was on solid footing.

But Monday began with problems on AIR's login server, which was supposed to be working by 8:30 a.m. When it failed, students were sent back to their classrooms until the problem could be resolved.

Stewart said she would consider extending the testing window a few days beyond May 8 to make up for the delays.

Testing has been a top issue in Tallahassee, where lawmakers this month passed a bill suspending school grades and teacher evaluations until the FSA exams undergo an independent review. Scott added his signature last week.

But parents and teachers have complained the measure doesn't go far enough. Both groups had implored the Legislature to use this year's test results for diagnostic purposes only. Even before Monday, they were calling on Scott to suspend all high-stakes consequences for the 2014-15 school year — something the governor appears unlikely to do.

Senate Education Committee Chairman John Legg, R-Trinity, pointed to a provision in the bill allowing Florida to collect predetermined damages from AIR in the event of problems. He said Stewart should pursue those payments "if in fact they did do technical changes without permission."

Legg said Monday's troubles highlighted the need for the independent review included in the legislation.

But he continued to disagree with those demanding that Florida suspend its education accountability system.

"I fundamentally think we need to move forward," Legg said. "I have five kids and some of them are at schools. I know what they would do, going into a test, if they knew it didn't count."

Criticism of the system is likely to resurface in light of the latest developments.

A Senate panel is scheduled to discuss classroom technology today.

The issue lit up the Facebook pages of activist groups such as Opt-Out Orlando, where parents shared their stories and their discontent with a system they view as unneeded and overbearing.

"Oh my. What a hot mess they have on their hands," Ismary Jorro of South Florida wrote.

Florida is not the only state to struggle with problems associated with tests aligned to the new Common Core State Standards.

Nevada, one of 21 states in the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, postponed testing after facing technical troubles. Montana also had problems with Smarter Balanced tests, and allowed districts to cancel testing.

Kathleen McGrory of the Times/Herald Tallahassee Bureau contributed to this report. Contact Jeffrey S. Solochek at jsolochek@tampabay.com.

Online testing system fails again; angry state official calls glitches 'unacceptable' 04/20/15 [Last modified: Monday, April 20, 2015 10:24pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Car bomb kills 13, injures 24 in Baghdad; Islamic State claims responsibility

    World

    BAGHDAD — A car bomb exploded outside a popular ice cream shop in central Baghdad just after midnight today, killing 13 people and wounding 24, hospital and police officials said.

  2. Leaping shark floors angler in Australia

    World

    In The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway's protagonist battles for three days to pull in his prized catch. For Terry Selwood, it came a little more suddenly.

    A 9-foot shark lies on the deck of a fishing boat at Evans Head, Australia on Sunday. Fisherman Terry Selwood said he was left with a badly bruised and bleeding right arm where the shark struck him with a fin as it landed on him on the deck. [Lance Fountain via AP]
  3. Rays rally twice to beat Rangers (w/video)

    The Heater

    ARLINGTON, Texas — Starting Erasmo Ramirez on Monday after he closed out Sunday's marathon win turned out, despite the Rays' best intentions and rigid insistence, to be a bad idea as he gave up four runs without getting through three innings.

    Erasmo Ramirez, starting a day after closing a 15-inning marathon, struggles against the Rangers and comes out after throwing 43 pitches in 21/3 innings.
  4. Britain investigating missed signals over Manchester bomber

    World

    LONDON — Britain's domestic intelligence agency, MI5, is investigating its response to warnings from the public about the threat posed by Salman Abedi, the suicide bomber who killed 22 people and wounded dozens more in an attack at a crowded Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, last week.

    People gather Monday at St. Ann’s Square in Manchester, England, to view tributes to victims of the suicide bombing that killed 22 on May 22 as a concert by Ariana Grande was concluding.
  5. Trump condemns killing of pair who tried to stop racist rant

    Nation

    The mayor of Portland, Ore., on Monday urged U.S. officials and organizers to cancel a "Trump Free Speech Rally" and other similar events, saying they are inappropriate and could be dangerous after two men were stabbed to death on a train as they tried to help a pair of young women targeted by an anti-Muslim tirade.

    Coco Douglas, 8, leaves a handmade sign and rocks she painted at a memorial in Portland, Ore., on Saturday for two bystanders who were stabbed to death Friday while trying to stop a man who was yelling anti-Muslim slurs and acting aggressively toward two young women. From left are Coco's brother, Desmond Douglas; her father, Christopher Douglas; and her stepmother, Angel Sauls. [Associated Press]