TAMPA — Randy Klindworth is eager to help a half-century-old building boast of its efficiency.
The energy manager for Hillsborough County is making plans to hang an Energy Star plaque outside the Main Courthouse. Right at the entrance on Pierce Street in downtown Tampa.
Klindworth oversaw the reduction of air-conditioner handlers, from 32 to seven. He was there for the installation of more efficient lighting and other improvements that reduced energy costs over the past six years.
Finally, this year, the efforts yielded the building's first Energy Star.
The Main Courthouse is one of hundreds of buildings in the state and thousands nationally to earn the Energy Star rating, which was introduced 10 years ago.
Across the state there are 363 buildings with the rating, the Environmental Protection Agency reports. In the Tampa Bay area, Hillsborough is out in front with 29 buildings. There are three in Pinellas County and one in Pasco County.
The only hospital in the state with the rating is St. Anthony's in St. Petersburg. The 41-year-old building earned its first rating this year.
"We are definitely proud of the designation — no matter how many people have it," said John Nicely, the director of support services at the hospital.
Some highlights of Energy Star-rated buildings in the Tampa Bay area
Oldest building with the rating: Hillsborough County's Main Courthouse at 419 Pierce St. was built in 1960 and earned the designation in 2009.
Tallest building with the rating: At 579 feet, 100 North Tampa is the tallest Energy Star building in the bay area.
Largest building with the rating: The 862,921-square-foot Tampa City Center, 201 S Franklin St.
First building with the rating: The Hillsborough County Water Department Administration building, 925 E Twiggs St., earned the designation in 2001.
Most Energy Star ratings: Centerpointe at 5100 Lemon St., Tampa, earned the rating six times, from 2002 to 2007.
Pasco County Energy Star building
Gulf Trace Elementary School
Pinellas County Energy Star buildings
• St. Anthony's Hospital.
• Park Place, 311 Park Place Blvd., Clearwater.
• Park Place, 380 Park Place, Clearwater.
Hillsborough County Energy Star buildings
• 100 North Tampa, 100 N Tampa St.
• Annex Complex, 405 N Jefferson St.
• Bank of America Plaza-Tampa, 101 E Kennedy Blvd.
• Centerpointe, 5100 Lemon St.
• Corporate Center III, 4221 W Boy Scout Blvd.
• Corporate Center One at International Plaza, 2202 N West Shore Blvd.
• Corporate Center Two at International Plaza, 4211 W Boy Scout Blvd.
• Corporate Oaks Building, 15405 Cypress St.
• Corporate Oaks Building, 25445 Cypress St.
• County Center, 601 E Kennedy Blvd.
• Fifth Third Center, 201 E Kennedy Blvd.
• Shriners International Headquarters, 2900 Rocky Point Drive.
• Hidden River Corporate Center One, 8800 Grand Oak Circle.
• Hidden River Corporate Center Three, 14055 Riveredge Drive.
• Highland Oaks II, 10210 Highland Manor Drive.
• Hillsborough County Water Department Administration, 925 E Twiggs St.
• Island Center, 2701 N Rocky Point Drive.
• Main Courthouse, 419 Pierce St.
• MetLife, 18210 Crane Nest Drive.
• One Urban Centre, 4830 W Kennedy Blvd.
• Tampa City Center, 201 N Franklin St.
• Tampa Commons, 1 N Dale Mabry Highway.
• Tampa Memorial Center I, 4919 Memorial Highway.
• The Pointe, 2502 Rocky Point Drive.
• Urban Centre Two, 4890 W Kennedy Blvd.
• USAA Southeast Regional Office, 17200 Commerce Park Blvd.
• Wachovia Center, 100 S Ashley Drive.
• Waterford Plaza, 7650 W Courtney Campbell Parkway.
• Westshore Center, 1715 N West Shore Blvd.