Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Proposal may avoid shut down for longline grouper fishermen

Commercial longline grouper fishermen, facing a devastating shutdown because of loggerhead turtle deaths, gained a possible reprieve Friday — but only in the long run.

Backed by an unusual alliance of fishermen and environmentalists, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council approved a proposal that would permanently cut Florida's longline fleet by about half and close off a large chunk of fishing grounds during summer.

While these cutbacks would slash current fishing practices, they are less severe than a previous emergency' proposal that would push longliners so far offshore that few, if any, could stay in business.

But how these conflicting rule changes would affect turtle deaths, fishing practices and the retail grouper market is anything but clear.

The short-term emergency rule, which the management council passed in January, could take effect as early as June and stay in place up to six months.

That could shut down or greatly restrict longline boats, which catch more than half the domestic grouper sold in restaurants and seafood counters.

The permanent proposal, which would allow year-round longlining with fewer boats, could not take effect until December at the earliest, said Roy Crabtree, Southeastern administrator for the National Marine Fisheries Service.

But under some circumstances, longliners could be back in business as early as July or August, suffering only a one or two-month shutdown.

That's because the Fisheries Service is also preparing a "biological opinion'' under the Endangered Species Act to assess how dangerous a pared-down longline fleet would be to loggerheads.

The Fisheries Service discovered in October that longline boats, which lay miles of hooks along the Gulf bottom, were inadvertently drowning more loggerheads than previously thought. Loggerhead nesting along Florida coasts has also declined in recent years.

If the "biological opinion'' finds that the proposed long-term restrictions will adequately limit turtle deaths, the Fisheries Service could lift the interim shutdown soon after it begins.

"Nobody wants to put people out of business if we don't have to,'' Crabtree said. "There are people out there who are no fans of longliners, but generally when it comes to putting people out of business, the (management) council takes that seriously.''

The council will meet again in June to take a final vote on the permanent rules.

As currently proposed, the rules would limit longlining to fishermen who caught a yearly average of 40,000 pounds of grouper and other reef fish between 1999 and 2007.

Fifty-seven boats, based mostly in Pinellas County, meet that standard.

From June through August every year, longlining would be banished from water shallower than 215 feet deep.

Fast facts

Longlining — sorting out the rules

• In January, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council proposed an emergency rule that would banish grouper longliners to water 300 feet or deep, which effectively puts them out of business. That rule could go into effect as early as June and stay in place for six months.

• On Friday, the management council proposed a long-term rule, which could take effect in December at the earliest. That would cut the fleet about in half by limiting longlining to boats with average catches of 40,000 pounds a year or more. Fishing in June, July and August would be banned inside of 215-foot depths.

• The National Marine Fisheries Service is preparing a "biological opinion'' that will determine whether the permanent rule will reduce loggerhead deaths to acceptable levels under the Endangered Species Act. If not, the management council will tighten the long-term restrictions. If so, the Fisheries Service could lift the emergency ban. The biological opinion may be finished as early as July.

Proposal may avoid shut down for longline grouper fishermen 04/17/09 [Last modified: Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:23am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Nearly 1 in 4 Tampa Bay homeowners considered equity rich

    Real Estate

    If your home is worth at least 50 percent more than you owe, you're rich — equity rich that is.

    About one in four Tampa Bay homeowners are considered "equity rich." [Associated Press file photo]
  2. Trump strategist Steve Bannon: No military solution in North Korea

    National

    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. — President Donald Trump's chief strategist Steve Bannon says there's no military solution to the threat posed by North Korea and its nuclear ambitions, despite the president's recent pledge to answer further aggression with "fire and fury."

    Steve Bannon, chief White House strategist to President Donald Trump, has drawn fire from some of Trump's closest advisers. [Associated Press]
  3. Rays have their chances, but end up with another loss (w/video)

    The Heater

    TORONTO — The litany of games the Rays have given away this season is long enough, arguably too lengthy. So the only way to get to the postseason is make up for some of those losses by grabbing some wins when the opportunity is presented, especially at this time of year when the margin is diminished and the stakes …

    Associated Press
  4. Dunedin man accused of possessing child pornography

    Crime

    DUNEDIN — A 57-year-old man was arrested Wednesday, accused of intentionally downloading child pornography, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said.

    Richard Beal Anger, 57, of Dunedin faces 11 counts of possession of child pornography. [Courtesy of the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office]
  5. Pence cuts short Latin America trip and pressures Chile to sever all ties to North Korea

    Politics

    SANTIAGO, Chile — Vice President Mike Pence is cutting short his Latin America trip by one day to return to Washington for a strategy meeting Friday at Camp David with President Donald Trump and the national security team.

    Vice President Mike Pence urged Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to take a tougher stand against North Korea on Wednesday in Santiago, Chile.