Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

$340 million plan would expand reclaimed water in Tampa

TAMPA — City officials unveiled plans Tuesday for a $340 million expansion of the reclaimed water system and a proposal to force people who live along the system’s lines to use the water.

“It’s a step in the right direction,” said Mayor Pam Iorio. “Supplying the majority of the city with reclaimed water is going to take time. It’s going to take funding. First you have to start with a plan.”

Reclaimed water lines currently reach about 8,700 customers in south Tampa. About 3,600 customers have already connected to the system.

Under the proposal, people with access to the highly treated wastewater would not be able to use drinkable water for lawn watering as of Dec. 1.

To enforce the rule, city officials say they will remove potable water irrigation meters along reclaimed lines and remove or lock reclaimed water meters that are not being used.

The City Council is scheduled to consider the recommendations at a workshop May 28.

“It’s long overdue,” Council member John Dingfelder said of the proposal. “Putting drinking water out on yards when you’ve got access to reclaimed is sinful.”

An expansion that could be completed in five years would reach another 9,000 customers in an area loosely bordered by Bayshore Boulevard, Ballast Point and North Hyde Park as well as big users such as Tampa International Airport and International Plaza.

By 2024, the water would service neighborhoods in New Tampa.

The cost of construction would be shared by the city, the Southwest Florida Water Management District, and Tampa Bay Water, the regional utility. Tampa Bay Water wants to take some of the reclaimed water to Pasco County.

$340 million plan would expand reclaimed water in Tampa 05/19/09 [Last modified: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:47am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Nearly 40 hospitalized on first day of Sunset Music Festival, on pace to exceed last year

    News

    To reduce the number of medical emergencies this year, sponsors of the Sunset Music Festival promised heightened security and safety measures during this weekend's event at Raymond James Stadium.

    Thousands of people crowd the main stage at the Sunset Music Festival on Saturday in the north Raymond James Stadium parking area. The temperature at the time of the photo was 92 degrees. [LUIS SANTANA   |   Times]
  2. Woman killed in overnight Temple Terrace apartment fire, city says

    Fire

    TEMPLE TERRACE — A woman died early Sunday as a result of a fire at an apartment complex, city officials said.

  3. Video: Indianapolis 500 drivers in fiery crash somehow walk away uninjured

    Auto racing

    Scott Dixon and Jay Howard avoided injury in a spectacular crash - or what Dixon labeled "a wild ride" afterward - during the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.

  4. Homeland security chief defends Kushner's alleged proposal for 'back channel' to the Russians as 'a good thing"

    National

    Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, the lone administration official to speak out publicly about reports that Jared Kushner sought a back channel to communicate with the Russian government, defended the move, saying it was a "good thing" for the U.S. government.

    Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law, listens during a meeting with small business leaders at the White House on Jan. 30. [Washington Post photo by Jabin Botsford]
  5. After hard charging on health care in 2016, Marco Rubio is slow, careful

    Blogs

    As a presidential candidate, Marco Rubio pitched an Obamacare replacement and tore into Donald Trump for not having one. "What is your plan? What is your plan on health care? You don't have a plan," the Florida senator aggressively challenged in a February 2016 debate.