Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Former candidate launches online petition to have trial moved out of Hernando County

BROOKSVILLE — Facing two felony charges for allegedly presenting falsified documents to county elections officials in order to meet the requirements to run for public office, Brooksville community activist Paul Boston has launched an online petition drive seeking support for, among other things, moving his court case to another jurisdiction.

In his July 10 posting, titled "Abuse of powers by authorities in Brooksville, Florida," Boston addressed a list of complaints against Brooksville city officials as well as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, whom he claims have harassed and intimidated him.

"These are the same officials who can, with a phone call, have a person tried, judged and convicted without due process of the law," Boston wrote. He also claimed that those same officials are "in position to benefit from the removal and destruction of this community."

Boston, 54, turned himself in to authorities June 29 after learning that the State Attorney's Office had issued a warrant for his arrest. He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Hernando County Circuit Court.

Boston said Friday that he started the online petition in the hope of garnering 50 signatures in support of his request to move his trial. Once completed, he intends to present it to the court.

"I don't feel I can get a fair trial here in Hernando County," Boston said. "There are just too many powerful people who are against me."

Boston's legal troubles began soon after he filed as a challenger for Seat 3 on the Brooksville City Council, which is held by Joe Johnston III. In an affidavit, he claimed to have met the one-year residency requirement to qualify as a candidate.

However, a Brooksville police investigation found a discrepancy in Boston's claim that he had lived with his daughter, LaRhonda Travick, at Hillside Estates prior to moving into another unit there.

According to police Chief George Turner, Travick said she wasn't the author of the notarized affidavit that Boston presented to election officials, but instead had signed a different document written by Boston that she had not read.

Investigators also allege that Deron Mikal, a notary public and a friend of Boston's, witnessed the affidavit, even though Travick wasn't present before him to sign the document or provide identification — two requirements to make the document legal.

Boston was eventually disqualified from the race when election officials determined he wasn't eligible to run. Johnston won the seat uncontested. Since then, Boston has maintained that the incident was the result of a "clerical error" that city officials jumped on in an effort to derail his plans to run for office.

"I feel that my indictment is a good thing," Boston wrote in his petition. "It can be used as a vehicle to bring many of these concerns to light … (giving) not only myself but the system and the government a chance to answer some of these concerns."

Boston, who has been active in community affairs in south Brooksville for several years, said he plans to represent himself in his case.

Logan Neill can be reached at (352) 848-1435 or lneill@tampabay.com.

Former candidate launches online petition to have trial moved out of Hernando County 07/20/12 [Last modified: Friday, July 20, 2012 7:04pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  2. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.
  3. Told not to look, Donald Trump looks at the solar eclipse

    National

    Of course he looked.

    Monday's solar eclipse — life-giving, eye-threatening, ostensibly apolitical — summoned the nation's First Viewer to the Truman Balcony of the White House around 2:38 p.m. Eastern time.

    The executive metaphor came quickly.

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump view the solar eclipse from the Truman balcony of the White House, in Washington, Aug. 21, 2017. [Al Drago | New York Times]
  4. Secret Service says it will run out of money to protect Trump and his family Sept. 30

    National

    WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday that it has enough money to cover the cost of protecting President Donald Trump and his family through the end of September, but after that the agency will hit a federally mandated cap on salaries and overtime unless Congress intervenes.

    Secret service agents walk with President Donald Trump after a ceremony to welcome the 2016 NCAA Football National Champions the Clemson Tigers on the South Lawn of the White House on June 12, 2017. [Olivier Douliery | Sipa USA via TNS]
  5. After fraught debate, Trump to disclose new Afghanistan plan

    War

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will unveil his updated Afghanistan policy Monday night in a rare, prime-time address to a nation that broadly shares his pessimism about American involvement in the 16-year conflict. Although he may send a few thousand more troops, there are no signs of a major shift in …

    U.S. soldiers patrol the perimeter of a weapons cache near the U.S. military base in Bagram, Afghanistan in 2003. Sixteen years of U.S. warfare in Afghanistan have left the insurgents as strong as ever and the nation's future precarious. Facing a quagmire, President Donald Trump on Monday will outline his strategy for a country that has historically snared great powers and defied easy solutions.  [Associated Press (2003)]