Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Former federal prosecutor refiles lawsuit against O'Neill, Holder

Former federal prosecutor Jeffrey Del Fuoco has refiled a lawsuit against Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert O'Neill that says O'Neill violated federal laws by releasing confidential information in an effort to get himself appointed U.S. attorney in Florida's Middle District.

Del Fuoco's defamation lawsuit against O'Neill was tossed out last month after U.S. District Judge James D. Whittemore scolded Del Fuoco for making scandalous accusations.

In the new filing, Del Fuoco again included U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder as a defendant. He also accuses John Fitzgibbons, chairman of the Judicial Nominating Commission that selected O'Neill as one of three nominees for the top prosecuting job, of distributing confidential information illegally obtained from Justice Department files.

Del Fuoco said Fitzgibbons got the information from former CBS news correspondent Eric Engberg, a Palmetto resident. Engberg is a friend of a Manatee County deputy involved in a federal investigation Del Fuoco handled while he was a federal prosecutor.

Engberg said he obtained the letter about Del Fuoco legally by using the Freedom of Information Act at a federal agency that hears complaints from federal workers. Engberg said he respects O'Neill's work and did not want to stand by and let Del Fuoco "hijack the federal appointment process to settle an old score."

The Justice Department documents include a letter outlining the reasons behind Del Fuoco's departure from the U.S. Attorney's Office, where he was supervised by O'Neill.

Del Fuoco says many of the allegations were untrue and damaged his reputation. He also accuses O'Neill of making false and defamatory statements.

O'Neill has accused Del Fuoco of repeatedly filing court pleadings in an attempt to smear his reputation. Del Fuoco has written a number of letters to Sen. Bill Nelson and the White House in an attempt to derail O'Neill's appointment.

The new lawsuit seeks damages and costs from O'Neill and Holder.

O'Neill has repeatedly declined to comment on Del Fuoco's accusations and did not respond to a request for comment Friday.

Former federal prosecutor refiles lawsuit against O'Neill, Holder 03/26/10 [Last modified: Friday, March 26, 2010 11:40pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. No. 21 USF Bulls roll over Temple to stay undefeated

    College

    TAMPA — They emerged from Raymond James Stadium's southwest tunnel on the 11-month anniversary of their public humiliation at Temple.

    Bulls tailback Darius Tice, who rushes for 117 yards, is elated by his 47-yard run for a touchdown in the second quarter for a 10-0 lead.
  2. Fennelly: USF thrashes Temple to stay unbeaten; too bad not many saw it in person

    College

    TAMPA

    No. 21 USF ran its record to 4-0 Thursday night with some payback against Temple, a 43-7 trouncing, no contest, as if anyone cares, at least judging by the paltry crowd at Raymond James Stadium. Where was everybody?

    Bulls cornerback Deatrick Nichols (3) celebrates with teammates after making a defensive play during the first half.
  3. Former Ray Tim Beckham's over being traded, or is he?

    The Heater

    BALTIMORE — As the Rays reunited Thursday with Tim Beckham for the first time since he was dealt July 31 to Baltimore, it became very clear that not everything in assessing the trade is as it appears.

    Tim Beckham, here in action Monday against the Red Sox, has hit .310, with 10 homers and 26 RBIs since going to the Orioles.
  4. Bucs probe how to fix deep-ball chances missed vs. Bears

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was only minutes after the Bucs had demolished the Bears 29-7 Sunday when quarterback Jameis Winston tried one final time to connect with receiver DeSean Jackson.

    QB Jameis Winston says he’s focused on the deep-ball chances to DeSean Jackson he missed in the opener: “We left a lot out there.”
  5. Rays journal: Ugly first inning dooms Andriese, Rays against Orioles (w/video)

    The Heater

    BALTIMORE — Rays manager Kevin Cash said before Thursday's game that RHP Matt Andriese was among the pitchers who would most benefit from a strong finish to the season.

    Matt Andriese has a tough first: hits to four of first five batters, leading to three runs, the only ones he gives up in six innings