The public is invited to the following events planned in celebration of Independence Day. All events, unless otherwise specified, are on July 4:
• Polish American Social Club's Independence Day indoor picnic and silent auction, Wednesday, 7615 New Jersey Ave., Hudson. Doors open at 10 a.m. Food will include sloppy joes, salads, desserts, coffee and tea, which will be served from noon to 1 p.m. Games with prizes, including a cakewalk, will continue through 3 p.m. Dancing will be from 3 to 4 p.m. Tickets are $6. Call Dolores at (352) 596-4802 or Josephine at (727) 862-1520.
• Nature Coast Freedom Fest, July 3, Florida Classic Park, 5360 Lockhart Road, east of Brooksville. This year's annual patriotic celebration will feature country singing star Rodney Adkins, followed by a fireworks display by Pyrotechnico of America. Lindsay Taylor will also perform. Gates open at 3 p.m. Limited VIP tickets (up front) for the Adkins concert are $25. General admission is $5 per person, and parking is $5 per vehicle. The family event includes numerous activities and concessions. Call Joe Santerelli at (352) 799-0687. Visit the Web site at www.naturecoastfreedomfest.com.
• Regency Oaks Civic Association July Fourth barbecue, noon to 4 p.m., at the clubhouse, 4445 Breakwater Blvd., Spring Hill. Admission tickets are $3 for adults and $1.50 for children 11 and younger. Music will be provided by DJ Rich, the "Music Hitman." Those attending should bring a side dish and beverages. ROCA will supply condiments, ice, coffee and cake. Grilled hot dogs and burgers will be available for purchase. For tickets call Joyce at (352) 597-1405, Terry at (352) 596-9213 or Shirley at (352) 597-2988.
• High Point community's annual Fourth of July parade: The parade lineup will be at 8:30 a.m. at the entrance to High Point at Cortez Boulevard, with the parade starting at 9 a.m. It will end at the community center at 12249 Clubhouse Road, where flag-raising ceremonies will be conducted. For information, call (352) 596-6006.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9326 July 4th picnic, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be served starting at 1 p.m. There will be live music with Suzanne Reno and games in the canteen. Call (352) 596-9236.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8713 Fourth of July Celebration, 2 p.m., 1681 E Jefferson St., Brooksville. There will be a barbecue and music with the Country Pride Band. Call (352) 796-4449.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209 July Fourth Celebration Car Show and Bike Show, starting at 2 p.m., 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill. There will be a barbecue and live entertainment with Rusty and Nick (Vintage). Call (352) 796-0398.
• The Hernando County Philippine-American Association's Fourth of July dinner and dance, 6:30 to 11 p.m., at SNPJ Lodge/Suncoast Dance Party Center, 13383 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Dinner includes pot roast, baked chicken, baked salmon, pancit (noodles), mashed potatoes, green beans, mixed vegetables, pinakbet and Filipino desserts. Entertainment will be provided by Shaun and Jessica Doolittle, as well as the Reflection of Asia Dancers. Tickets are $18 for members ages 16 and older and veterans, $20 for nonmembers 16 and older, $10 for children ages 6 to 15 (members and nonmembers) and free for all children 5 and younger. Call Aurora Rice at (352) 848-1031, Cobbie Atienza at (352) 666-5381 or Celia Sigua at (352) 684-7464.