Sept. 16 is Take a Loved One for a Checkup Day, and the Pinellas County Health Department encourages you to make an appointment for yourself and a loved one. If no appointment is available Sept. 16, make it for later in the week. Regular health care, including preventive care, can enhance and extend your life and the lives of those you love. The 10-Step Countdown to Better Health:
10. Be informed. For health information you can trust, here are two places to start: National Women's Health Information Center www.womenshealth.gov and Healthfinder www.healthfinder.gov.
9. Be good to your bones. No matter what a person's age is, everyone needs enough calcium and vitamin D. Learn more at www.womenshealth.gov/faq or www.osteo.org.
8. Avoid illegal drugs and alcohol. For women, the definition of moderate drinking stops at one glass. And where illicit drugs are concerned, there is no such thing as "moderate" use.
7. Take medicine wisely. Read labels, follow instructions carefully and remind your doctor about any other medicines or supplements you might be taking that could interact with your medication. Visit www.fda.gov for more information.
6. Play it safe. Avoid injuries. Use smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Wear sunscreen. Practice safe sex. Learn more at www.cdc.gov/ncipc.
5. Get regular checkups, preventive exams, and immunizations. Don't forget self-exams, too. Find out about preventive measures you can take to stay healthy at www.nlm.nih.gov.
4. Don't smoke. It's the leading preventable cause of death in our country. For information on how to quit smoking, go to www.womenshealth.gov/QuitSmoking
3. Eat smart. It's the secret to good health. For information on how to eat right, go to www.PinellasWellness.com or www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines
2. Get moving. The other secret to good health: 30 minutes of physical activity, accumulated over the course of each day, can radically improve the way you look and feel, both physically and mentally. For more information, visit www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt
1. Be happy! Take time for yourself. Get connected with family, friends and community. Do things you enjoy!
• • •
Dr. David Minkoff will discuss "How Undetected Allergens Stop You From Feeling Your Best" at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 18 at LifeWorks Wellness Center, 301 Turner St., Clearwater. Seating is limited. RSVP by calling (727) 466-6789.
• • •
A free seminar on the topic of advanced treatment for prostate enlargement will be at 1 p.m. Friday at Helen Ellis Memorial Hospital, 1395 S Pinellas Ave., Tarpon Springs.
The guest speaker will be Christopher Shiepis, D.O., and urologist. Questions from the audience are welcome.
Reservations are required. Call (727) 943-3600 weekdays.
• • •
The public is invited to the third annual Active Aging Expo from 1 to 4 p.m. Sept. 18 at Regency Oaks, 2720 Regency Blvd., Clearwater.
Keynote speaker Dr. Yervant Khatcherian will present "How to Live to Be 100 and Enjoy It," followed by a wide variety of demonstrations, educational workshops, exhibits and free screenings from professionals that promote the "Six Dimensions of Wellness."
Other activities include learning how to use a Wii, getting putting tips from a golf pro, indulging in a minifacial or paraffin hand treatment and stopping by the ice cream parlor for complimentary healthy snacks.
For directions and to RSVP, call Marva at (727) 252-0540.
• • •
Water workout classes to improve cardiovascular fitness, flexibility and endurance have begun at the following locations:
• 9 a.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the Long Center, 1501 N Belcher Road, Clearwater.
• 9:15 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays; 5:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Bonsai Health and Fitness Center, 400 Lake Ave. NE, Largo.
Participants need not know how to swim. For more details, call (727) 796-5933 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Free unless otherwise noted.)
T.O.P.S. (Take off pounds sensibly): 8-10 a.m. Wednesdays at the Largo Community Center, 65 Fourth St., Largo, (727) 538-2361. Fee.
T.O.P.S. (Take off pounds sensibly): noon-2 p.m. Wednesdays at St. Timothy Lutheran Church, 812 Tarpon Ave., Tarpon Springs, (727) 938-0934. Fee.
Co-dependents Anonymous (central Pinellas): 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Bible Fellowship Church, 4670 East Bay Drive, Largo. Call (727) 365-4896.
Scoliosis support group: 7-8:30 p.m. Friday (every second Friday of the month), North Pinellas Branch YMCA, 4550 Village Center Drive, Palm Harbor, (727) 772-0314.