Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Helen Ellis Memorial staff thanked for saving woman from cardiac arrest 4 times

TARPON SPRINGS — Alicia Reinbolt thought she was having an allergic reaction to something. Her eyes had begun to swell, her throat was itchy and she had a hard time sleeping.

At 7 a.m. on May 29, Reinbolt, who lives in Palm Harbor, woke up her husband and asked to be taken to the hospital. In addition to her other symptoms, the 42-year-old, who went to the gym about four days a week, had begun to feel tingling in her left arm.

She arrived at Helen Ellis Memorial Hospital with a complaint of an allergic reaction. She left more than a week later as the hospital's "miracle."

Vessel spasms caused Reinbolt's heart muscles to not get enough blood. That, in turn, caused her heart to go into deadly arrhythmia. About 90 seconds after she arrived at the emergency room, Reinbolt went into cardiac arrest. The emergency room team revived her. She stopped breathing a second time. She was revived again. There was a third time, and a fourth.

"She died four times," said emergency room medical director Dr. Michael Longley, who worked on Reinbolt. "We shocked her four times, there were all kinds of medications, each time she would come back. It's really a miracle and highly unusual. I've never seen this before."

The entire episode lasted about 20 minutes, Longley said.

But Reinbolt remembers none of it.

"I felt like I was going to sleep and waking up," Reinbolt said Tuesday. "I didn't see the light. I didn't see my mother or my grandmother. I had told them already that I'm not ready, so don't even come get me."

Reinbolt remained at Helen Ellis for eight days, spending time in the emergency room, the intensive care unit and the heart catheterization unit, where an automatic implantable cardioverter-defibrillator was inserted in her heart to maintain its proper rhythm. Doctors and nurses, amazed at her miraculous survival, checked on her constantly.

Husband Todd Reinbolt called it the scariest moment of his life. He pondered, what if he hadn't been able to find his keys that morning and they were a minute later leaving for the hospital? That could have changed the outcome.

"There are only two things that saved her," said Todd Reinbolt, 48. "It was God and the workers at the hospital. The skills that those people have. And it just wasn't the skills they had, it was the way everybody cared for her from the time we went there until eight days later when we left. They really showed compassion, from food service to the doctors. I think they had a sense of awe of the situation."

The Reinbolts, who have been married nine years, wanted to show their appreciation. So they made T-shirts and gave them to the folks who helped Alicia continue living the life she loves. On the front of the T-shirt is "We saved Alicia," and on the back, "Miracles and Great Medical Care."

"A thank-you card wouldn't have done it," Alicia Reinbolt said. "A pizza party wouldn't have done it, either. I really didn't care if they wore it or not, or if they used it to dust with. But we just wanted them to have something to let them know how grateful we are."

Those who cared for the Reinbolts are thrilled about the T-shirts.

"It's not often that we get a thanks," said Julie Osborne, an emergency room nurse who assisted Reinbolt. "We have a lot of positive outcomes but we don't get this kind of acknowledgement. People usually come to the emergency room, we help them and they leave and never think anything else about it. It's taken for granted."

Reinbolt didn't take it for granted.

The ordeal left her with a device in her chest cavity, a few burn marks from being shocked, and a broken rib from the chest compressions that helped bring her back to life.

"I'll take that," she said.

Now back at work as a medical records coder and slowly making her way back to the gym, the mother of an 18-year-old daughter said she knows death is inevitable for everyone. But how that death happens is what's concerning.

"No one wants a long, prolonged sickness," she said. "But then again, to not be able to get things in order, to not be able to say goodbye to your children, that thought just scares me, too."

For now, Reinbolt will continue living.

"I love life, period," Reinbolt said. "I'm just glad they didn't give up on me."

Contact Demorris A. Lee at and (727) 445-4174.

Helen Ellis Memorial staff thanked for saving woman from cardiac arrest 4 times 06/29/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:03pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Trigaux: How Moffitt Cancer's M2Gen startup won $75 million from Hearst


    TAMPA — A Moffitt Cancer Center spin-off that's building a massive genetic data base of individual patient cancer information just caught the attention of a deep-pocketed health care investor.

    Richard P. Malloch is the president of Hearst Business Media, which is announcing a $75 million investment in M2Gen, the for-profit cancer informatics unit spun off by Tampa's Moffitt Cancer Center. Malloch's job is to find innovative investments for the Hearst family fortune. A substantial amount has been invested in health care, financial and the transportation and logistics industries.
  2. A boat lays on its side off the shore of Sainte-Anne on the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, early Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017, after the passing of Hurricane Maria. [Dominique Chomereau-Lamotte | Associated Press]
  3. 7.1 magnitude quake kills at least 149, collapses buildings in Mexico


    MEXICO CITY — A magnitude 7.1 earthquake stunned central Mexico on Tuesday, killing at least 149 people as buildings collapsed in plumes of dust. Thousands fled into the streets in panic, and many stayed to help rescue those trapped.

    A woman is lifted on a stretcher from of a building that collapsed during an earthquake in Mexico City, Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. [Rebecca Blackwell | Associated Press]
  4. FHP seeks semitrailer truck driver that left fiery wreck on I-75


    TAMPA — The Florida Highway Patrol is looking for the driver of a semitrailer truck that sped off from an Interstate 75 crash that left another car burning on Tuesday afternoon.

    Troopers were looking for the driver of a semitrailer truck that sped off from an accident scene on Interstate 75 in Tampa on Tuesday afternoon that caused a car to catch fire. [Courtesy of Florida Highway Patrol]
  5. Joe Maddon gets warm reception in return to the Trop

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The night was arranged to honor former Rays manager Joe Maddon in his first visit back to the Trop, and the standing ovation from the bipartisan crowd and scoreboard video tribute seemed proper acknowledgments of his hefty role in the Rays' success during his nine-year stint.

    Chicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon (70) talks with reporters during a press conference before the start of the game between the Chicago Cubs and the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017.