LAND O'LAKES — To hear the two hospital executives talk, you'd think a pair of resorts were about to open.
Room service dining, picturesque views from bedrooms set in multistory towers and free WiFi were just a few of the amenities revealed Thursday at a meeting with community leaders. One will even offer a fitness center and a swimming pool.
The Medical Center of Trinity and Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel will bring state-of-the-art health care to Pasco in the next two years. The Trinity hospital, which is Community Hospital's reboot at a new facility on State Road 54, is expected to open by the end of November. The Wesley Chapel hospital, the community's first medical center, is on track to open a year later.
Thibaut van Marcke, chief operating officer for the Trinity hospital, and Brian Adams, chief executive officer for Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel, spoke to members of the Pasco Alliance of Community Associations at the group's meeting Thursday night to offer a sneak peek into their hospitals' offerings. Here are the highlights:
Medical Center of Trinity
• Expected opening: November
• Location: State Road 54, just east of Little Road
• All 236 private rooms will offer 32-inch, high-definition televisions with 96 cable channels.
• The hospital will have 400,000 square feet and five stories (which can be expanded to eight stories) on 55 acres.
• It will have eight labor and delivery rooms for new moms.
• Patients will be able to order from a room-service menu at their convenience. Menus, however, will be in line with doctors' dietary orders. "A person on a low-sodium diet won't be able to order bacon," van Marcke said.
• Free WiFi will be available.
• It will have electronic medical records and observation areas where vital signs are taken and entered, allowing for faster treatment decisions.
• The emergency department will have 30 private rooms, with nine dedicated to pediatric care.
• Services will include heart and vascular care, orthopedics, cancer care, women's health and da Vinci robotic surgery.
• Expect 100 to 150 new jobs. (The hospital is already among Pasco's top 10 employers.)
Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
• Expected opening: Fall 2012
• Location: On Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, just north of the Shops at Wiregrass.
• Part of the Adventist Health System, the 200,000-square-foot hospital will be built on 52 acres. It will open with 80 beds but can expand to about 300 as the community grows.
• It will include a 50,000-square-foot fitness center for patient therapy, also open to the public, and two gardens visible from every patient's window.
• Patient rooms will include a 42-inch television, WiFi and a sleeper sofa for family members or friends. Medical records will be electronic.
• Services will include obstetrics, women's and men's services, general surgery, a heart catheterization lab, an emergency department with a helicopter pad, orthopedics, sports medicine and a 96,000-square-foot medical office building.
• The hospital reflects a $160 million investment in the Wesley Chapel area.
• It will be designed to ensure that parking spaces are close to the front entrance.
• Jobs created: 400, not counting those from spin-off businesses.