Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States, with more than 1 million cases diagnosed annually. About 12,000 people die each year from skin cancer and nearly 9,000 of those cases are from melanoma, according to the American Cancer Society. Melanoma is the fifth most common cancer for men and sixth most common for women.
Florida residents are more at risk for skin cancer due to year-round exposure to UV rays.
As part of Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month in May, Dr. Robert Davidson, surgical oncologist, will present a health seminar focusing on skin cancer and melanoma at noon Wednesday at Mease Countryside Hospital, Shaffer Tower, 4th Floor, Evelyn R. Simmers Oncology Resource Library, 3231 McMullen-Booth Road, Safety Harbor.
For information and to register, call toll-free 1-855-269-4777 or visit baycareevents.org.
• • •
The following events are presented by the Palms of Largo.
• Arthritis Support Group, noon Tuesday at Imperial Palms East Clubhouse, 1300 Imperial Palm Dr., Largo. Spine seminar coordinator Paula Jewell from Largo Medical Center will speak. A light lunch will be served. The group meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month.
• Stroke Survivor Support Group, noon Tuesday at Cypress Palms, 400 Lake Ave. NE, Largo. Gina Wilson will facilitate. A light lunch will be served. The group meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month.
For information and to register, call Margie at (727) 437-1639.
Seminars, classes and support groups
CELIAC SUPPORT GROUP: Celiac disease, an intestinal disorder, affects one out of every 133 people. Although there is no cure, it can be controlled by following a gluten-free diet. Some find that going gluten-free is not as easy as it sounds. A support group can help. Meetings are at 10 a.m. the third Saturday of every month at Mease Countryside Hospital, Meeting Rooms 1, 2 and 3, 3231 McMullen-Booth Road, Safety Harbor. Call (727) 734-0561 or email bkelly1@ tampabay.rr.com.
RECOVERY INTERNATIONAL: Abraham Low Self-Help System, a support group designed for people suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and symptoms caused by fear and anger, meets at these upcoming times and locations:
• 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Lakeview Community Church, 475 East Lake Road N, East Lake. (727) 942-4095.
• 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Grace Lutheran, 1812 N Highland Ave., Clearwater. (727) 942-9008.
• 10 a.m. Saturdays, St. Paul United Methodist Church, 1199 Highland Ave. NE, Largo. (727) 586-2585, or leave a message at (727) 525-1749.
The support group is free, but offerings are appreciated.
MID-PINELLAS BRAIN TRAUMA SUPPORT GROUP: Meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Thursday of every month at St. Paul United Methodist Church, Christian Life Enrichment Center, Room 201, second floor, 1498 Rosary Road, Largo. Call (727) 442-1819 or visit midpinellas braintraumasupportgroup.com.
ALZHEIMER'S CAREGIVERS SUPPORT GROUP: 9:30 a.m. Mondays, Palm Harbor Community Center, 1500 16th St. (727) 787-1837.
FOOD ADDICTS IN RECOVERY ANONYMOUS: 7 p.m. Tuesdays, (727) 501-2125, and 8:30 a.m. Saturdays, (727) 786-3113. Both at Clearwater Community Church, Room 103, 2897 Belcher Road, Dunedin. For details, visit foodaddicts.com.
NAR-ANON FAMILY GROUP: Meetings are at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. Mondays, except holidays, at Crystal Beach Community Center, 517 Crystal Beach Ave.; 8 p.m. Tuesdays at First United Methodist Church, Educational Building, second floor in "the Parlor," 421 Main St., Dunedin; and 7 p.m. Wednesdays at St. Paul's United Methodist Church Annex, Open Arms Resource Center, 1897 Highland Ave., Largo. For more information, call toll-free 1-888-947-8885 or visit naranonfl.org.
TAKE OFF POUNDS SENSIBLY (TOPS):
• 9 to 10 a.m. Wednesdays at Heritage United Methodist Church, Room 11, 2680 Landmark Dr., Clearwater. The first meeting is free. (727) 726-2681.
• 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays at Union Street United Methodist Church, Choir Room, 1625 Union St., Clearwater. Call (727) 461-7101 or you may email boots@tampa bay.rr.com.
• 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at First Baptist Church of Ozona-Palm Harbor, 610 Pennsylvania Ave., Ozona. The group meets in the building in the back. Call (727) 786-1484 or (727) 785-9564.
Mail Health news to Nova Beall at 710 Court St., Clearwater, FL 33756, fax to (727) 445-4119 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.