Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Spring Hill diners' illness caused by norovirus

BROOKSVILLE — A report issued Wednesday by the Hernando County Health Department shed some new light on a mysterious illness that left dozens of residents stricken in recent weeks.

The Health Department confirmed that more than 100 people who became sick after dining at or who were in contact with someone who dined at Kally K's Steakery & Fishery, 3383 Commercial Way, in Spring Hill between March 6 and 11 were stricken by a norovirus.

According to the report, at least one employee of the restaurant tested positive for the virus, which is a leading cause of gastroenteritis. Symptoms can include severe vomiting, diarrhea and weakness that can last one or two days.

An investigation was conducted jointly by the Health Department and state Department of Business and Professional Regulation on March 14 after more than 100 complaints had been received.

An inspection of the restaurant yielded two violations, one of which was listed as critical: An inspector noted that an employee engaged in food preparation had not washed his or her hands prior to handling food and equipment or when changing gloves.

The second violation dealt with cleaned and sanitized equipment, utensils, linens or other items that were not properly stored, according to the DBPR.

Kally K's manager and restaurant owner Christina Malo was not available for comment late Wednesday. However, last week, she told the St. Petersburg Times that the inspection was a routine review conducted every two to three months and was not based on a complaint.

The illness, which was first reported by the Health Department on March 15, fueled rampant speculation in the community about the name of the restaurant, which was not named previously by the Health Department because of the ongoing investigation.

At least one area business, Nellie's Restaurant on U.S. 19 in Spring Hill, reported a sharp drop in customers that the owner attributed to the suspicion raised by the department's decision not to name the suspect restaurant.

According to the report, the owner of Kally K's has agreed to comply with recommendations by the Health Department that no employees who tested positive for the virus be involved with food handling or preparations until followup tests are negative.

No complaints of illness after March 12 have been reported, the report said.

Logan Neill can be reached at (352) 848-1435 or lneill@sptimes.com.

Spring Hill diners' illness caused by norovirus 03/23/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:21pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Gov. Rick Scott could soon be the all-time king of line-item veto

    Blogs

    2016: $256,144,027

    2015: $461,387,164

    2014: $68,850,121

    2013: $367,950,394

    2012: $142,752,177

    2011: $615,347,550

    Only once has Scott used the line-item veto sparingly. That was in 2014, the year he ran for re-election, when he removed a paltry $69 million from the budget.

    Gov. Rick Scott waves a veto pen at The Villages in 2011.
  2. Rays morning after: An up-and down day for Jose De Leon

    Blogs

    Rays RHP Jose De Leon had a busy Monday - getting called up to join the Rays for the first time and making his way from Pawtucket, R.I., to Boston and the flying to Texas, working 2 2/3 eventful innings to get the W in the 10-8 victory over the Rangers, and then getting optioned back to Triple-A.

  3. White House communications director Dubke steps down

    National

    WASHINGTON — Mike Dubke, White House communications director, has resigned in what could be the start of a series of changes to President Donald Trump's senior staff.

    President Donald Trump speaks at the Memorial Amphitheater in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., Monday, May 29, 2017, during a Memorial Day ceremony. [Associated Press]
  4. Trump pays somber tribute to fallen troops on Memorial Day

    National

    ARLINGTON, Va. — President Donald Trump expressed the nation's "boundless" gratitude for the ultimate sacrifice paid by Americans defending the United States, dedicating his first Memorial Day address as commander in chief to a top Cabinet secretary and two other families who lost loved ones.

    Brittany Jacobs, left, watches as her 6-year-old son Christian Jacobs meets President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence in Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery, Monday, May 29, 2017, in Arlington, Va. Jacobs father, Marine Sgt. Christopher Jacobs, was killed in 2011. [Associated Press]
  5. Florida education news: Budgets, discipline, charter schools and more

    Blogs

    BUDGETING: Florida school district officials keep a close eye on their spending plans as they await word on the Legislature's budget. Gov. Rick Scott