Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Zika mosquito sites in Miami Beach identified near schools, tourist site

Miami-Dade County Mosquito Control inspector Sharon Nagel peers into a drain in Miami's Wynwood district to detect any mosquito presence  in July. [Miami Herald (TNS)]

Miami-Dade County Mosquito Control inspector Sharon Nagel peers into a drain in Miami's Wynwood district to detect any mosquito presence in July. [Miami Herald (TNS)]

MIAMI — Nearly all of the locations in Miami Beach where traps captured mosquitoes carrying Zika virus in August and September are residential areas, though some are close to schools or tourist spots, according to information released Wednesday by Miami-Dade officials.

The county identified four addresses in South Beach after the Miami Herald filed a lawsuit against Miami-Dade seeking the locations.

The locations are: 1619 Meridian Ave., a 12-unit apartment building near Lincoln Road Mall; 932 Lenox Ave.; 1236 Drexel Ave., an eight-unit apartment building near the Miami Beach Police Department, and 2378 Prairie Ave., near Hebrew Academy's Rabbi Alexander Gross High School and Miami Beach Senior High.

Health officials had already identified the Miami Beach Botanical Garden, 2000 Convention Center Drive, as one of the sites on Sept. 1, though the garden had been closed three days prior.

Health department officials notified residents before releasing the addresses. One resident, who contacted the Herald after receiving a visit from health officials, said he thinks the information should have been released earlier. University of Miami student Galen Treuer said he lives at 1236 Drexel Ave. and sent a photograph of health officials at his door.

"I feel it was a real failure of communication," Treuer, 37, said. "They weren't giving out information to reduce our exposure."

At the Prairie Avenue site, an artist working at the pink, two-story Mediterranean style house — which is next door to a parking lot for Miami Beach High — said he knew there were three mosquito traps placed at the home about two months ago.

Gian Bruno Hass, 59, said his brother-in-law owns the house. "I think the government should have enlightened us," he said.

The state's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services first announced that three of 19 mosquito traps in Miami Beach had captured Zika-positive mosquitoes on Sept. 1. A fourth batch was announced on Sept. 9, and a fifth on Sept. 16.

All of the infected mosquitoes were captured inside the 1.5-square-mile area initially identified on Aug. 19 as having active spread of the virus, between Eighth and 28th Streets from the ocean to the bay. The transmission zone was expanded north on Sept. 16 to a 4.5-square-mile area, from Eighth Street to 63rd Street.

Since the last batch of Zika-positive mosquitoes was announced, however, no more traps have captured insects with the virus, according to a letter Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez sent Tuesday to State Surgeon General Celeste Philip.

The letter came after the Herald's lawsuit set off a dispute between the county and the Florida Department of Health about releasing the information. Both agencies initially denied the Herald's public records requests. They said the records were exempt from the public records law because they were part of an epidemiological investigation.

But Tuesday, Gimenez sent a letter to Philip advising her that the county would release the locations unless otherwise instructed by the health department in writing. Both Philip and Gov. Rick Scott's office responded late Tuesday that the county was free to notify the public of the trap locations.

Gimenez's letter, combined with information in the records released Wednesday by the county, offer the most specific information yet about the five traps that captured mosquitoes carrying the Zika virus.

Zika mosquito sites in Miami Beach identified near schools, tourist site 09/28/16 [Last modified: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:05pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Nation

    NEW YORK (AP) — The Fox News Channel says the company knew a news analyst planned to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed the popular personality's contract in February.

    Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly appears on the Fox News show, "The O'Reilly Factor," in New York. O'Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel in April following reports that several women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations. [Associated Press file]
  2. Conviction overturned 30 years later in neo-Nazi murder case

    Criminal

    TAMPA — A judge on Friday overturned the murder conviction of Dean McKee now that new evidence has raised doubt about McKee's guilt in a Tampa slaying that occurred nearly three decades ago when he was 16.

    In 1987, a St. Petersburg Times reporter interviewed Dean McKee for a story about young skinheads in Tampa. [Times | 1987]
  3. Experts have some theories on who's carrying out Seminole Heights killings

    Crime

    The words serial killer tend to conjure an image of a middle-aged white man, likely a loner. He stabs or chokes or strangles, murdering up close for the thrill, straight out of central casting.

    A memorial was set up where Anthony Naiboa, 20, was found shot to death in Seminole Heights. Some experts who have reviewed information in the case say that whoever is behind the three Seminole Heights killings may live in the area. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL  |  Times]
  4. Late fumble, field goal send Florida State to another loss

    College

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher didn't have an explanation for the turning point in Saturday's 31-28 last-second loss to Louisville.

    Louisville's Lamar Jackson gets past Florida State's Matthew Thomas to score in the first quarter of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, in Tallahassee Fla. (AP Photo/Steve Cannon) FLSC102
  5. Funeral starts for soldier at center of Trump fight

    Military

    COOPER CITY, Fla. (AP) — Mourners remembered not only a U.S. soldier whose combat death in Africa led to a political fight between President Donald Trump and a Florida congresswoman but his three comrades who died with him.

    The casket of Sgt. La David T. Johnson of Miami Gardens, who was killed in an ambush in Niger. is wheeled out after a viewing at the Christ The Rock Church, Friday, Oct. 20, 2017  in Cooper City, Fla. (Pedro Portal/Miami Herald via AP) FLMIH102