Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Hillsborough school where special-needs student died will no longer have special ESE classes

TAMPA — The Hillsborough County School District has transferred about a dozen disabled students out of Rodgers Middle School, where a child with Down syndrome drowned last year.

While students with various disabilities are served at virtually all schools in the district, there are no more full-time exceptional student education classes at the Riverview school.

Asked if the decision was related to the October death of 11-year-old Jennifer Caballero and the scrutiny and firings that followed, ESE general director Maryann Parks said, "No, it had nothing to do with that."

Rather, she said, the change was part of an overall redistribution of resources, which happens routinely in ESE as populations and student needs change.

"We always look at all our units," she said. "We look at the places where the kids live, what their needs are and our enrollment."

Jennifer drowned on Oct. 22 in a pond behind Rodgers after disappearing from a crowded physical education class that combined typical students and those with special needs.

Less than two weeks later, the public and most of the School Board learned that a special-needs child at a different school had died earlier in the year after a medical incident on a school bus.

The deaths, and some lesser cases of staff misconduct on buses and at schools, led the board and district to focus intently on ESE, which serves 29,000 students.

At Rodgers, multiple firings and demotions followed investigations by the Hillsborough Sheriff's Office and the school district. The principal was demoted and transferred. An assistant principal was offered a demotion, then fired when he declined it.

Two ESE aides were fired. Three other employees, including two more aides and a physical education teacher, resigned or retired. Parks took over the top ESE job, replacing former director Joyce Wieland.

Nine of the 22 Rodgers students who were in the classes this past school year are continuing on to high school, so they are not affected by the recent changes, Parks said. Others are being transferred to Eisenhower, Randall, Giunta and Barrington middle schools.

More than 100 students with varying disabilities will remain at the school, Parks said. Those students, depending on their needs, will be taught through a combination of mainstream classes and pull-out services.

The district, meanwhile, has been working to standardize staff training and procedures, particularly when a student tries to run away from school.

But criticism remains from parents who contend the district sometimes segregates disabled students.

Roberta Moore addressed the board Tuesday on behalf of her 10-year-old son Daniel, who has Down syndrome and is being transferred out of Mabry Elementary School in South Tampa.

"I live right around the corner from Mabry," Moore said. "In light of recent events, it is understandable why I am not comfortable with Daniel riding the school bus." Nor does Daniel want to be separated from his friends, she said.

While Moore said she was told her son will attend Chiaramonte, 4 miles south of Mabry, superintendent MaryEllen Elia and assistant superintendent George Gaffney said he is being transferred to Grady Elementary, which is a half-mile away.

Elia and Gaffney said a meeting has been scheduled to address the family's concerns.

Marlene Sokol can be reached at (813) 226-3356 or [email protected]

Hillsborough school where special-needs student died will no longer have special ESE classes 06/11/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:09am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921