HYDE PARK — Visitors to six historic Hyde Park homes Sunday will see how contemporary owners are creating their own memories while observing old traditions in 100-year-old homes.
The annual Hyde Park Home Tour offers an inside view of some of the fine restoration work in Tampa's first suburb.
Wraparound front porches, high ceilings, hardwood floors, vintage hardware and light fixtures reflect the period when the houses were built, renovated according to strict design guidelines.
All the homes are located on the 800 and 900 blocks of Dakota Avenue, between Watrous and Morrison avenues. Tickets will be available on site, and the tour goes on rain or shine. Proceeds support Hyde Park Preservation, Inc. (HPPI) neighborhood association.
On the tour:
Tom Dilling, 830 S Dakota Ave. Circa 1916, the Craftsman house with Edwardian details was renovated in the early 1990s, maintaining the windows, heart of pine floors and large, original front door. Dilling bought the house in 2008 and renovated the kitchen and leveled the floors. The sun room is the perfect space for his annual tree trimming party.
Nora Minor and Robert Work, The Seville, 902 S Dakota Ave. The couple launched a major rehab within the footprint of their unit in 2012. They eliminated hallways, removed a fireplace, gutted the single original bathroom and replaced all plumbing, electrical and HVAC.
Acclaimed architect Francis Kennard designed the luxury Seville apartment building (with a rare Tampa basement) in 1925. Then a group of friends transformed it into what is believed to be the city's first condominium in 1969. The original hand-operated freight elevator is still in use.
Katie and Kirk Gibbons, 903 S Dakota Ave. In the three decades since purchasing the circa 1920 house, the Gibbons have renovated every room. Their favorite addition to the bungalow floor plan is a family room that opens to a courtyard.
Jennifer and Steve Hellman, 906 S Dakota Ave. In the past 18 months, significant upgrades to the circa 1910 residence include an A/V closet to make this a "smart" home. Also, a new kitchen and a mudroom, formerly part of an L-shaped back porch. The dining room staircase was added for easier entrance to the mudroom. Other authentic touches range from moving several kitchen doors upstairs to enclose closets to reglazing a 100-year-old tub.
Stephen Gay, 911 S Dakota Ave. Top-to-bottom renovations to the traditional Four Square house, circa 1922, include new kitchen and bathrooms, new wiring and plumbing. Aluminum siding was removed and the wood underneath restored. Gay bought the home nearly 10 years ago from relatives of the original owners, the McSwain family.
Patty Melanson, 912 S Dakota Ave. Ask her about one of the previous owners of the circa 1912 home who used to cut the grass with small scissors when her neighbors were asleep. The kitchen was remodeled, and hallway, bathroom and family room additions were made in the 1980s. Melanson replaced wiring, the back deck, flooring and tiling when she bought it in 1995.
Hyde Park Preservation Inc., formed in 1974, helps enforce zoning ordinances, seeks city resources and promotes safety through a Neighborhood Watch program and a privately funded Hyde Park Evening Local Patrol.
Amy Scherzer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 226-3332.