NEW PORT RICHEY — The arrival of October means cooler weather (at least in theory), the sprouting of pumpkin patches and the roar of motorcycles converging on Orange Lake.
Thousands of motorcycle fans and riding diehards will roll into downtown this weekend for the 7th annual Cotee River Bike Fest, a three-day event featuring bike shows, live music, food, and vendors selling rider apparel and every imaginable accessory. The event, which has drawn up to 30,000 visitors in past years, is timed to bring bikers to Florida's west coast before the massive Bike- toberfest in Daytona the following weekend.
"The west Pasco area has so much to offer people, and since October is the start of cooler weather and a time when motorcycle owners like to get out and do a lot of riding, it's a perfect fit," said Joe Alpine, president of the West Pasco Chamber of Commerce, which organizes the event.
This year's event kicked off Thursday night with the new Leather and Lace Biker's Ball to benefit the Sertoma Speech and Hearing Foundation.
This weekend's festivities include live music at the Main Street Stage and Sims Park Amphitheater, eating contests, a Daisy Duke contest, the Motorman Rider's Skill Show and the Fire & Iron Station 43 Poker Run to benefit the Children's Burn Camp Foundation.
The concert lineup includes:
• 5 to 7 p.m., Time Bandits at Sims Park Amphitheater
• 5:30 to 7 p.m., Franc Robert and the Boxcar Tourists at the Main Street Stage
• 7:30 to 10 p.m., Angel for Blues Julie Black at the Main Street Stage
• 8 to 10 p.m., Odyssey Road, a Journey tribute band, at Sims Park Amphitheater
• 1:30 to 4 p.m., Sunset Rebels at Sims Park Amphitheater
• 4 to 6 p.m., Circle Sky, a classic rock tribute band, at the Main Street Stage
• 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Highway to Hell, an AC/DC tribute band, at Sims Park Amphitheater
• 7:30 to 10 p.m., China Grove, a Doobie Brothers tribute band, at the Main Street Stage
• 8 to 10 p.m., Greg Billings Band at Sims Park Amphitheater
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Shawn Paige Blues Band at Sims Park Amphitheater
• 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Road House at Sims Park Amphitheater.