Alzheimer's Association: Caregiver support groups, 2:30 p.m. Friday, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville; Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767. 2 p.m. Tuesday, Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, 11291 County Line Road, Spring Hill; Sandy Croson, (352) 799-1422. An online support group is at www.alzsupport.com, with a live chat at noon on Wednesdays; message boards are open at all times to post questions and leave replies.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: Caregiver support group, 1 p.m. Mondays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center (behind Oak Hill Hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill; Maria Curley, (727) 856-2196.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando offers the following:
• The Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive (Brothers I and II Plaza), Spring Hill. Open 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and from 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. This is a self-help rehabilitation and recreation center for people with mental illnesses, offering support groups, classes, bingo, arts and crafts, and other social and educational activities. Call the center at (352) 684-0004. Visit www.namihernando.org or www.NAMI.org.
• Consumer support group, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays, at the Beautiful Mind. The group is for adults who have been diagnosed with a mental illness who are interested in speaking with others who share similar problems.
• Family Support Group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays at the Beautiful Mind. This group is for families to meet and talk with others who understand adult mental illness.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville.
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Spring Hill United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill.
• 11 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Little Red Schoolhouse Bookstore, 1208 Kenlake Ave., Spring Hill.
• 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesdays, East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free 1-800-262-2243.
Swine flu vaccination clinic: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 14, Nature Coast Technical High School, 4057 California St. The Hernando County Health Department will provide 750 vaccinations (intranasal and injectable) first-come, first-served, with tickets distributed starting at 8 a.m.; tickets include appointment time slots. Priority will be given to pregnant women, caregivers and family members of infants 6 months and younger, people 6 months to 24, people 25 to 64 with chronic medical conditions, and health care workers who provide direct patient care. (352) 540-6817.
Diabetes Support Group: 1 p.m. Monday, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. A lecture on diabetes management will be presented by nutritionist AnneMarie DiBlasio, who will discuss consistent carbohydrates and portion control. There will be a hands-on/interactive discussion about reading food labels and meal planning. Sponsored by Horizon Homecare. Velvet Baxley, (352) 684-3550.
Fibromyalgia Support Group: 2 to 3:30 p.m. Friday, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. A workshop will be presented on sleep apnea and its relationship to fibromyalgia. Irene, (352) 666-2803, or Joan, (352) 686-0238.
HPH Hospice Community Grief Support Group: 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. This ongoing bereavement support group is for adults trying to cope with the recent death of a loved one. There is no cost and no reservations needed. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784.
Mom2Mom Breastfeeding Support and Playgroup: 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday, Spring Hill United Church of Christ, Davis Hall, 4244 Mariner Blvd. Evie, (352) 688-5899, or Patty, (727) 460-5748.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 597-5315, or Bill, (352) 683-7409.
Overeaters Anonymous: Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Restless Legs Support Group: 6 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 12, Florida Sleep Institute, 4075 Mariner Blvd. This will be an open discussion meeting. Betty or Bill Kinahan, (352) 200-5440.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 604, weigh-in from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m., meeting at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Nancy, (352) 592-1088, or Doris, (352) 666-9525.
"Understanding Neuropathy — The First Step on the Road to Recovery" free seminar: 2 p.m. Tuesday, Wellington clubhouse, 400 Wexford Blvd. The speaker will be Dr. Robert J. Martinez of Martinez Chiropractic and Wellness Center. Topics include an overview of neuropathy, how it affects you, how it affects balance, who gets neuropathy, the seven signs of neuropathy and treatments. Seating is limited. Reservations required. Susan, (352) 686-1686.
Tourette's Syndrome Support Group: 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Rothman Center, fourth floor, 800 6th St. S. (727) 767-8230 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The group is dedicated to helping individuals in the Tampa Bay area with Tourette's syndrome and their families. Meetings are on the second Tuesday of each month.
Information for the Health and Support column should be submitted to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613. Information can be faxed to (352) 754-6133 or e-mailed to email@example.com. The deadline for this news is two weeks before your event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information about the Health and Support column, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.