As Halloween creeps closer, freakish fun can be found all over north Pinellas where haunted houses, trails of terror and macabre amusements abound. Seek out the scares, if you dare.
• Today, 6-8:30 p.m.; free
• Countryside Recreation Center, 2640 Sabal Springs Drive
• Spooky carnival games, bounce houses, creepy crafts, pumpkin patch, costume contest, trail of terror and more.
• (727) 669-1914
• Monday, 5:30-8:30 p.m.; free
• Bright House Field, 601 N Old Coachman Road
• Candy, games, hayrides and a haunted house.
• (727) 467-4457 or threshersbaseball.com
Halloween in the Park
• Today and Saturday, 6 to 10 p.m.; Donation of $10 per carload (includes 10 game tickets). Game tickets are 5 for $1 or 25 cents apiece.
• Honeymoon Island State Park, 1 Causeway Blvd.
• Scary trail with haunted house for older children and adults. Music, games, storytelling, food and fun. Face painting for the kids, fortune telling for the parents. Wear costumes (not required) and walking shoes; bring insect repellent, treat bag for candy and small flashlight.
• (727) 469-5942 or floridastateparks.org
Haunted House: Dunedin Age of Darkness
• Today and Saturday, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.; $5 admission to benefit Dunedin for Youth Scholarship Fund.
• Dunedin Community Center, 1920 Pinehurst Road
• Eleven rooms of scary scenes in a castle-like setting.
• (727) 812-4530 or (727) 683-9920
• Saturday, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
• Highlander Park, 1920 Pinehurst Road, off Michigan Boulevard behind the Community Center.
• In addition to the Rotary Club's haunted house in the Community Center, Highlander Park is turned into an eerie playground with carnival games, a haunted hayride, storytelling, inflatables, Halloween crafts, a costume contest and concessions for sale. Boo in the Zoo is a trick-or-treat house for preschoolers.
• Haunted house and haunted hayrides are $5 each, parking is $2. $10 wristband includes all carnival games, crafts, inflatables, costume contest entry, and Boo in the Zoo. Proceeds benefit the Dunedin for Youth Scholarship Fund.
• (727) 812-4530 or dunedingov.com
East Lake Fire Rescue's Haunted Firehouse
• Today, Saturday and Monday, 7 to 10 p.m.
• Station No. 57, 3375 Tarpon Lake Blvd., Palm Harbor
• Haunted house with professional props and message: Don't text and drive.
• Admission is $5; $3 for fire, police and military personnel. A "Quick Kill" limited wait-time pass is available for $15.
• (727) 784-8668 or fearthecaptain.com or eastlakefirerescue.com
Tampa Bay Water Ski Show Team's Pirates! Catania's Revenge
• Saturday, 7:30 p.m.; free (donations accepted); concessions available
• Night show on Tower Lake, 130 Burbank Road, Oldsmar.
• (727) 480-9365 or (813) 917-8354
• Today, 5 to 11 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Sunday noon to 7 p.m.
• Tampa Bay Downs, 11225 Racetrack Road, Tampa
• Admission $5; Children under 12 free. Free parking.
• German food, drink, music and dance. Carnival and midway, arts and crafts show, audience participation contests.
• (813) 855-4233 or utbchamber.com
• Saturday, 3 p.m. to midnight; rain date is Sunday. Free admission.
• Two blocks of Florida Avenue in historic downtown Palm Harbor.
• Features three musical acts, a lime carving contest, psychic readings, paranormal investigations and vendors. Pet costume contest, 3:30 p.m.; children's costume contest, 5:30 p.m. Adult costume contest ($5 entry fee) at 9 p.m.
• (727) 483-9210 or witchstock.com
Victorian Halloween at the Safford House
• Sunday, 4 to 6 p.m.; Tickets $10, $6 (members and students)
• Safford House, 23 Parkin Court
• Meet the spirits of Tarpon's past, enjoy a tour, spirits, psychics and refreshments.
• Holiday gift shop will be open.
• (727) 942-5605
Dracula, the stage play
• Today and Saturday at 8 p.m.; Sunday at 2 p.m.; Tickets are $20; $17 for members and students
• Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center, 324 Pine St.
• Classic tale, based on the book by Bram Stoker. All theater-goers in costume receive a free prize and Halloween treat. Best costume of the weekend gets two free theater tickets to a future play or musical and a $25 gift certificate to Manolo's Mediterranean Bistro, Tarpon Springs. Must register in the lobby for the grand costume prize.
• (727) 942-5605 or order online at tarponarts.org
Submit ideas for Diversions features to Terri Bryce Reeves at firstname.lastname@example.org Events must take place in north Pinellas.