Alzheimer's Family Organization: The organization will offer the following:
• Stress Buster Day, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 8, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Caregivers are invited to a free day of relaxation, learning and fun. Dr. Mildred Farmer will give an update on Alzheimer's disease, Patricia Sovenik will discuss stress reduction and Susan Frangello will discuss keeping healthy through tai chi. Includes lunch, refreshments, chair massages and manicures. Reserve by today. Call (727) 848-8888 or toll-free 1-888-496-8004.
• Caregiver support groups: 2:30 p.m. today, Sterling House, 10440 Palmgren Lane, Spring Hill; John Winans, (352) 232-0081. … 1 p.m. May 8, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Pam Penna, (352) 688-1262. … Weekly: 1 p.m. Mondays, Brooksville Regional Hospital, Medical Arts Building, Suite 120, 17222 Hospital Blvd., west of Brooksville; John Winans, (352) 232-0081.
Antioch Fellowship Baptist Church Health Fair 2013: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 11, 3031 Landover Blvd. Health vendors, health screenings, health risk assessments, the LifeSouth bloodmobile and presentations by local physicians and the Hernando County Health Department. Dr. M.P. Ravindra Nathan, a retired cardiologist and author, will speak at 11:30 a.m. on "Living Healthy, Living Longer." A free lunch will be provided by Papa Joe's Italian Restaurant, first come, first served. Free. (352) 688-6019.
Comfort for Caregivers Support Group: 11 a.m. to noon Thursday, Forest Oaks Assisted Living, 8055 Forest Oaks Blvd. Offered by HPH Hospice for those caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's disease or dementia. The group now meets on the first Thursday at this new location. (352) 597-1882.
'Diabetes 101' presentation: 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oak Hill Hospital, cafeteria conference room (Entrance A), 11375 Cortez Blvd. Presented by Dr. Ghiath Mahmaljy and certified diabetic educator Jan Trapane. This educational clinic is for those who are diabetic and never received the education they need to manage the progressive disease. Participants should eat lunch prior to the session; a variety of healthy snacks and drinks will be available. Space is limited. Registration required; call (352) 597-6333.
Diabetic teaching and support education series: 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Access Healthcare, 4270 Lake in the Woods Drive. The topic will be "Diabetes 101." Presented by Verna Pedersen Runyan, nurse practitioner. Reservations required. (352) 597-7249.
Hernando County Ostomy Association: 7 p.m. Thursday, Grace Lutheran Church, 411 Mariner Blvd. (352) 442-9787.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI offers the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill:
• Basics class, 6 p.m. Wednesdays, May 8 to June 12. For parents and caregivers of children younger than 18 who are ADHD, bipolar, ODD or have a similar diagnosis. Registration required.
• A peer-to-peer class in May for those who have been diagnosed with a mental illness who can share experiences with peers working toward recovery. Registration required. Call for dates.
• Support groups, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. There are two separate meetings — one for those with mental illnesses and the other for family members.
Call the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004. namihernandofl.org or NAMI.org.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.