Health and support
Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Oak Hill Hospital's Senior Partners Club (behind the hospital), 11361 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009. Free day care available with advanced reservations.
• 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 550 U.S. 41 S, Inverness. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600.
• 5 p.m. the fourth Tuesday, Emeritus at Barrington Place, 2341 W Norvell Bryant Highway, Lecanto. Free day care provided with advanced reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600
• 1 p.m. the second Monday, First United Methodist Church, 8831 W Bradshaw St., Homosassa. Free day care provided with advanced reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600.
Visit the Alzheimer's Association website at alz.org. To reach the local office, call (352) 688-4537 or toll-free 1-800-772-8672.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: Caregiver support group, 1 p.m. Wednesday, Spring Hill Regional Hospital Enrichment Center, Medical Arts Building, Suite 105, Spring Hill. Pam Penna, (352) 688-1262. 1 p.m. Dec. 18, Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. John Winans, (352) 232-0081. Weekly support group, 1 p.m. Mondays, Brooksville Regional Hospital Enrichment Center, Medical Arts Building, Suite 120, 17222 Hospital Blvd., west of Brooksville; John Winans, (352) 232-0081.
Elder Abuse Hotline: To report suspected cases of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation, or those 60 or older who are being hurt or taken advantage of by someone you know, call toll-free 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337) or 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Sponsored by the Florida Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando will offer the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill:
• "NAMI Basics," 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 15 to Feb. 19. This course is for parents and caregivers of children or adolescents diagnosed with a mental disorder, such as ADHD, depression, OCD, bipolar disorder or conduct disorder. Taught by trained NAMI family members who have children with mental illnesses. Child care available for children 12 and younger. Free. To register, call Dawn, (352) 232-5148.
• "Peer to Peer" 10-week recovery program, 6:30 p.m. Fridays, starting Jan. 18. Offered in a confidential setting and taught by two NAMI-trained peer mentors. Free. Registration required. Jeanette, (352) 410-1668.
• "Family-to-Family" 12-week course, 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 10. Taught by NAMI-trained family members, this program combines an instructional curriculum in a support group environment. For family members of mentally ill persons. Free. Registration required. Mariann, (352) 683-1350.
• Weekly support groups, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays; 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. There are two separate meetings; one for those with mental illnesses, the other for family members. Call the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
Visit namihernandofl.org or NAMI.org.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120 of the Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Call (352) 544-6022.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105 of the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 684-7568.
• Appointments may be scheduled at the Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 544-6022.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free at 1-800-262-2243.
Weight Watchers: For area meetings, call toll-free 1-800-651-6000.
Al-Anon: Adult Children Focused Step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Toll-free 1-888-425-2666.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hernando Gift Room: This free service, provided by the American Cancer Society, is open noon to 4 p.m. Wednesdays at 14540 Cortez Blvd., Suite 203, in the Pinebrook Regional Medical Center, west of Brooksville. The Gift Room provides uninsured and underinsured patients with free wigs, hats and head coverings (scarves, kerchiefs, beanies and knitted caps), prosthesis and mastectomy bras, as well as emotional support for people going through chemotherapy. To learn more, call the American Cancer Society toll-free at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
Take of Pounds Sensibly 208: 6 p.m. Thursdays, Gulf Ridge Park Church, 20200 Manecke Road. Linda Ward, (352) 796-1236.
Ridge Manor West
Take Off Pounds Sensibly 530: 8:15 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays, First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive. Meeting starts at 9 a.m. Evelyn, (352) 796-0477.
'5 Secrets to Weight Loss' lecture: 6 to 7 p.m. Dec. 13, Changes Fitness and Nutrition Center, 12597 Spring Hill Drive. The speaker will be Dr. Robert Martinez. All ages welcome. Free. Jennifer Darby, (352) 200-4680.
Caregivers Day Out: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive. Provided by Community Aging and Retirement Services, the program offers a fun, supervised atmosphere for individuals with memory challenges, such as Alzheimer's disease or dementia, while caregivers take some time off. There is no cost for first-time participants; subsequent days are $20. CARES is a nonprofit organization that provides services to meet the needs of older persons and their families in west-central Florida. Dianne, (352) 686-2614, or Chris Powers, (727) 862-9291, exts. 2002 or 2040.
Crescent Community Clinic: The clinic, 5244 Commercial Way (Winchester Plaza), provides primary medical, dental and mental health services to uninsured adults ages 18-64 who meet the federal poverty guidelines. Those wishing to receive services from the nonprofit, volunteer-staffed clinic must first apply for services. To apply, potential patients must visit the website at crescentclinic.org and download the application on the first page. The clinic is staffed by volunteers from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For information, call (352) 610-9916. Potential patients are not to call the office for appointments.
Diabetes Mellitus Education Series presents 'The Importance of Eye and Foot Exams': 5:15 to 7 p.m. Dec. 13, Access Healthcare, 4270 Lake in the Woods Drive. The speaker will be Verna Pedersen Runyan, a registered nurse and nurse practitioner. This is the final presentation in the series. Seating is limited; reservations required. RSVP to Arlene, (352) 688-8116.
'Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics — Super Digestive Aids' lecture: 5:15 p.m. today, Access Healthcare, 5350 Spring Hill Drive. Presented by Dr. Maria-Scunziano-Singh. RSVP to (352) 688-8116.
Gamblers Anonymous: 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. New members welcome. Coffee and refreshments served. (352) 688-9034.
Hernando County Ostomy Association: 7 p.m. today, Grace Lutheran Church, 411 Mariner Blvd. Bob Barnard, (352) 442-9787, or Carol Krause, (352) 683-5586. The Christmas party will be at noon Dec. 20 at Kally K's Steakery & Fishery, 3383 Commercial Way. RSVP to Ellen Boldt, (352) 597-5426.
Holiday Grief Workshop: 3 p.m. Tuesday, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. Led by a hospice bereavement counselor, who will provide tips on coping with grief during the holiday season. Preregistration requested. Toll-free 1-800-486-6784. hph-hospice.org.
Hospice Bereavement Support Group: 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. This is an ongoing bereavement support group for adults grieving the death of a loved one. There is no cost and no reservations required. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784. Web: hph-hospice.org.
Lupus Support Group: 1 p.m. Saturday. Call for the location. Linda Calcavecchia, (352) 683-5168.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 593-4736, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Nature Coast Multiple Myeloma Support Group: 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oak Hill Hospital Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (building behind the hospital). The speaker will be Leah Burdett, reimbursement account manager for Millennium Pharmaceuticals. The topic: "Medicare and Healthcare Reform." A complimentary dinner buffet will be provided. Herb and Dianne Terry, (352) 621-0672 or email@example.com, or Richard Blustein, (352) 428-4536 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overeaters Anonymous: 5:15 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 2301 Deltona Blvd. Option coffee and fellowship will follow the meeting. This is a newly-formed group. Ann, (352) 346-6962, or Julie, (352) 688-2877. New Beginnings group, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Fridays, also at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. Betty, (352) 666-1710. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Tai chi for Parkinson's patients: 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Body Fitness, 5181 Mariner Blvd. Sponsored by USF Health and the National Parkinson Foundation. The free classes improve flexibility and balance. (352) 556-1489.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 746, 8:30 to 10 a.m. Wednesdays, Grace Presbyterian Church, Building B, 8375 Spring Hill Drive. Patti, (352) 597-6869, or Sue, (352) 688-5209. TOPS 604, Weigh-in from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. and meeting 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088. TOPS is a weight-loss management program for men and women, and has a philosophy of combining healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support from others.
Overeaters Anonymous: Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 461, 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Dorothy Kuta, (352) 596-6697, or Pat Gall, (352) 688-6755. TOPS is a weight loss support group that promotes successful weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support.
Community Chatterboxes: 3 p.m. today, Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54. For those with communication deficits as a result of a cerebral vascular accident or other neurological disorders. Caregivers and spouses welcome. (727) 845-0757.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or email email@example.com. Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.