Health and support
Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. today, Oak Hill Hospitals Senior Partners Club (behind the hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2 p.m. Tuesday, Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, 11291 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Sandy Croson, (352) 799-1422.
• 2 p.m. July 18, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 550 U.S. 41 S, Inverness. Cathy Heaps, (352) 527-4600.
• Online support group, noon Wednesdays, at alzsupport.com. Message boards are open at all times to post questions and leave replies.
To reach the Alzheimer's Association's local office, call (352) 688-4537.
Hospice Bereavement Support Groups: HPH Hospice offers ongoing bereavement support groups for adults grieving the death of a loved one. The groups meet at the following HPH team offices:
• 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, 12260 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill.
• 3 to 4 p.m. Mondays, 698 S Broad St., Brooksville.
There is no cost and no reservations required. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784. Web: hph-hospice.org.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando offers the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive (Brothers I and II Plaza), Spring Hill (unless otherwise specified):
• A new family support group will meet from 1 to 3 p.m. Friday at the Brooksville Regional Hospital Enrichment Center, Room 120 of the Medical Arts Building, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville. The group will meet the second and fourth Friday of each month. An ongoing family support group meets 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays at the Beautiful Mind. The groups are for family members of loved ones suffering with a mental illness, and welcomes family members of veterans dealing with PTSD or other service-related mental illnesses. Call (352) 596-1541 or the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
• Consumer support groups, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. The group is for adults who have been diagnosed with a mental illness who are interested in speaking with others who share similar problems.
Call the Beautiful Mind at (352) 684-0004. Web: namihernandofl.org.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120 of the Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Call (352) 544-6022.
• Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesdays, East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West. Call (352) 754-4443.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105 of the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 684-7568.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free at 1-800-262-2243.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Jackie, (352) 754-4131.
GriefShare Sessions: 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Brooksville Wesleyan Church, 8168 Jasmine Drive. Designed for those who recently lost a loved one. (352) 799-3066.
Ridge Manor West
Take Off Pounds Sensibly 530: 8:15 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays, First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive. Meeting starts at 9 a.m. Evelyn, (352) 796-0477.
Crescent Community Clinic: The clinic, 5244 Commercial Way (Winchester Plaza), is available to uninsured adults ages 18-64 who meet the federal poverty guidelines. Services are provided the first three Saturdays of each month. Potential patients must apply for services and provide required household financial information and other documentation indicated in the application. Required documentation includes a Florida's driver's license with a Hernando County address, voter's registration card and Social Security card; proof of income, including income for each member of the household, including pensions, SSI, SSD and food stamps. Those interested must call the clinic in advance to arrange a time to come in and complete the application. After completion of the application, new patients will be given a time and date to be seen at one of the Saturday clinics. The clinic is staffed by volunteers from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Call (352) 610-9916. Existing patients must call the clinic by Monday to be on the list for the next available Saturday clinic. Patients with lab prescriptions do not have to call in advance, and may come to the clinic at 9:15 a.m. on any of the first three Saturdays of the month (except holidays). Patients needing prescription refills must have the pharmacy fax the refill request by Wednesday for Saturday prescription refill.
Healthy Hearts Education Series: 4 to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Oak Hill Hospital, cafeteria conference room, 11375 Cortez Blvd. Paul Ernandes, director of rehabilitation services at Oak Hill Hospital, will discuss "Heart Healthy Exercising." He will present information and ways to exercise to keep your heart healthy. He will describe, and guests may partake in (if they wish), some easy movements that most people can perform. Complimentary refreshments served. The series is provided by Heart Institute at Oak Hill Hospital. Free. Seating is limited and reservations are required. (352) 597-6333 or oakhillhospital.com.
Healthy Water Seminar: 7 p.m. today. Learn how alkaline antioxidant water can improve hydration and drinkability and how it acts as a nutritional catalyst. Those attending will receive free samples. Free. Another seminar will be offered July 21. Call for location and reservations. Joan, (352) 686-8180.
Martinez Chiropractic Community Health Events: The following free presentations will be offered at Martinez Chiropractic and Wellness Center, 10520 Spring Hill Drive.
• "It's Not What You're Eating — It's What's Eating You," 2 p.m. July 19. Registered Nurse Denise Schonwald will discuss the psychological barriers to maintaining a healthy weight and living a fulfilling life.
• "Understanding Neuropathy — The First Step on the Road to Recovery," 2 p.m. July 21. Topics include the causes of neuropathy, recognizing the seven signs, and drug-free treatment options.
Seating at both seminars is limited. Reservations are required. RSVP to Kelly, (352) 686-1686.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 597-5315, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Overeaters Anonymous: Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 604, Weigh-in from 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. and meeting 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Learn how you can be "Queen for a Day" at the yearly Florida State Recognition Day. There is no cost to attend a meeting. TOPS is a weight-loss management program for men and women, and has a philosophy of combining healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support from others. Membership dues are $26 a year ($4 per month). Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088.
Cancer Support Group: 1:30 p.m. Monday, Christian Church in the Wildwood, Building A Cafe, 10051 Country Road. This group is for caregivers, survivors and those currently dealing with cancer. Meetings are on the second Monday of each month. Godfrey Eason, (352) 597-9916, or (352) 263-3784.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or e-mail [email protected] Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.