Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: Caregiver support groups are offered at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
• 6 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail, Spring Hill. Sasha Bootz, (352) 596-2055.
• 2 p.m. the second Tuesday at Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, 11291 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Sandy Croson, (352) 799-1422.
• Locations available in Citrus and Sumter counties. For Citrus meetings, call Wendy Hall, (352) 527-4600; in Sumter call Tina Franzen-Andes, (352) 793-8274.
• Also, an online support group is at www.alzsupport.com, with a live chat at noon on Wednesdays; message boards are open at all times to post questions and leave replies.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: Caregiver support groups: 2 p.m. Monday, the Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill; 1 p.m. Tuesday, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville; 1 p.m. Tuesday, Spring Hill Enrichment Center (behind Oak Hill Hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Maria Curley, (727) 856-2196.
Elder Abuse Hotline: To report suspected cases of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation, or those 60 or older who are being hurt or taken advantage of by someone you know, call toll-free 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337) or 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Sponsored by the Florida Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
Health Whys Lecture Series: Brooksville Regional Hospital will present its first two of the 12-week lecture series on the following days:
• "Oh My Aching Back and Neck (Can Spine Surgery Really Help Me?)", 11 a.m. Saturday, GlenLakes Country Club, 10485 GlenLakes Blvd., Weeki Wachee. The speaker is Dr. Esther Wylen, neurosurgeon.
• "Diabetes Management", 5 p.m. Monday, at Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane, Spring Hill. The speaker is Dr. Arturo Castro, endocrinologist.
All lectures are free. Refreshments will be served. Seating is limited; reservations required. (352) 799-5019.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando offers the following:
• The Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive (Brothers I and II Plaza), Spring Hill. Open 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and from 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. This is a self-help rehabilitation and recreation center for people with mental illnesses, offering support groups, classes, bingo, arts and crafts, and other social and educational activities. Call the center at (352) 684-0004. Visit www.namihernando.org or www.NAMI.org.
• "Family to Family" class — This is a 12-week series that will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 21, at the Beautiful Mind Center. Classes are aimed at helping families who are struggling with a loved one's illness. Themes are educational, supportive and understanding. Seats are limited. To reserve a seat, call Brenda, (352) 666-9650.
• Consumer support group, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays, at the Beautiful Mind. The group is for adults who have been diagnosed with a mental illness who are interested in speaking with others who share similar problems.
• Family Support Group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays at the Beautiful Mind. This group is for families to meet and talk with others who understand adult mental illness.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville.
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Spring Hill United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill.
• 11 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Little Red Schoolhouse Bookstore, 1208 Kenlake Ave., Spring Hill.
• 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesdays, East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free at 1-800-262-2243.
Weight Watchers: For area meetings, call toll-free 1-800-651-6000.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Val, (352) 596-2492.
Nurturing Fathers Workshop: 10 a.m. Monday, Mid-Florida Community Service/Head Start, 835 School St. Facilitated by Luis Leon, (352) 754-2464.
Al-Anon: Adult children focused step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Meetings are open to all Al-Anon members and anyone suffering from the confusion of being raised in a home where alcohol was a problem. Toll-free 1-888-4Al-ANON (425-2666).
Alzheimer's Disease Caregiver Day — "All There Is to Know About Caregiving": 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 29, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail. Provided by the Alzheimer's Family Organization, the program includes refreshments, lunch and a certificate of attendance. Topics include Alzheimer's 101, communication, grief, personal care, depression, stress and behavioral issues. Attorney Sean Scott will discuss Elder Law issues. The cost is $15 for AFO members and $25 for nonmembers. Registration is required. (727) 848-8888 or toll-free 1-888-496-8004. Free respite care will be provided by Atria Evergreen Woods; call the AFO office to make arrangements.
"Causes and Non-Invasive Treatment for Fibromyalgia": 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. Presented by Mary Bristow, doctor of Oriental medicine, of the Foundation for Wellness Professionals. The seminar is free. Also, free testing to determine if you qualify for this new treatment will be available at the seminar. Seating is limited. RSVP to (352) 597-0082.
Florida Cancer Institute offers Caregiver Support Group: 4 p.m. today, Florida Cancer Institute-New Hope, Suite 203, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive. Pamela McGee, (352) 688-7744.
Hernando County Ostomy Association: 2 to 4 p.m. Jan. 21, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd., behind Oak Hill Hospital. Ellen Boldt, (352) 597-5426, or Vera Petranek, (352) 597-0079.
"Look Good, Feel Better" Support Group: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Wednesday, Florida Cancer Institute-New Hope, Suite 203, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive. Peggy Beckett, (352) 688-7744.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 597-5315, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Overeaters Anonymous: Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Restless Legs Support Group: 6 to 7:30 p.m. today, Florida Sleep Institute, 4075 Mariner Blvd. This is an open discussion meeting. RSVP to Betty or Bill Kinahan, (352) 200-5440.
Sleep Health Evaluation: 5:30 a.m. to noon Monday, Hernando County Family YMCA, 1300 Mariner Blvd. Members of the National Sleep Foundation will be on hand. Speak to a specialist on how sleep affects your health and quality of life. Sign up for a free evaluation and receive a gift for participating. Provided by Heads Up Sleep Systems. Breakfast treats will be provided. (352) 688-9622.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 604, weigh-in from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. and meeting at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd.; Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088.
"Understanding Neuropathy — The First Step on the Road to Recovery" free seminar: 5 p.m. Jan. 26, Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane. Topics include the seven signs of neuropathy, who gets neuropathy, how it affects you, how it affects balance and available treatment options. The speaker is Dr. Robert J. Martinez of Martinez Chiropractic and Wellness Center. Seating is limited; reservations required. Susan, (352) 686-1686.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 461, 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Dorothy Kuta, (352) 596-6697, or Pat Gall, (352) 688-6755 . TOPS is a weight loss support group that promotes successful weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support.
Oak Hill Hospital's For Your Health series presents "Caring for Your Arthritis" seminar: 5 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Heritage Pines Country Club, 11524 Scenic Hills Blvd., off County Line Road. Speakers include Drs. Jared Salinsky and Steven Nadler, orthopaedic surgeons and staff physicians at Oak Hill Hospital. Topics include signs and symptoms, diagnosis, treatment options, prevention, medications and the most advanced arthroscopic procedures. A hot meal will be served. Free. Seating is limited and reservations are required. (352) 597-6333.
New Port Richey
Lymphedema Support Group: 3 to 4 p.m. Jan. 21, Florida Cancer Institute-New Hope, 8763 River Crossing Blvd. Lindsey Wisniewski, (727) 845-0757.
Information for the Health and Support column should be submitted to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613. Information can be faxed to (352) 754-6133 or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for this news is two weeks before your event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information about the Health and Support column, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.