Independence Day Celebrations
The following events are planned to celebrate Independence Day on July 4, unless otherwise noted:
• High Point July 4th Parade, 9 a.m., High Point Boulevard to Club House Road, and ending at the community center, where there will be a flag-raising ceremony. Immediately following, in the center, there will be entertainment, refreshments, arts and crafts, raffles, door prizes and other activities. There will be games for children at the pool. For parade details, call Sheila Kirk at 597-9887; for all other information, call the High Point office at 596-2397.
• Knights of Columbus Barbecue Cook-Out, starting at 3 p.m., at St. Anne's Catholic Church, 4142 Treiman Blvd., Ridge Manor. The cookout is free. A small fireworks display at dusk is planned. For information, call 583-2550.
• Hernando Sportsman's Club to host Machine Gun Shoot, starting at 9:30 a.m., at the club range in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area, off Commercial Way, north of Weeki Wachee. Food will be available throughout the day. Admission is $2; children 12 and younger admitted free, but must be with an adult. Shooters with their own guns can pay $20 to participate. For information, visit the Web site at hernandosportsmansclub.com or call 597-9931.
• Hernando Beach Club's Fourth of July Celebration, 3145 Flamingo Blvd., Hernando Beach. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. There will be an indoor "old time" barbecue and dancing. Dinner will be served at approximately 6:30 p.m. Entertainment will be provided by Cyndi "The One Lady Band," who will perform favorite songs as well as tributes. Tickets are $10 for members and $12 for nonmembers, which must be prepaid. For information or tickets, call Bunni at 688-4976.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9236 Fourth of July Barbecue, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. Food will be served from 5 to 7 p.m., including hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken. Music will be provided by Tammy Hatch from 6 to 10 p.m. The public is welcome. For information, call 596-9236.
• Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582 to host Fourth of July Celebration, 2 to 6 p.m., in the lounge, 14494 Cortez Blvd., west of Brooksville. The cost is $6, which includes hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, baked beans and dessert. Entertainment will be provided by Mr. Lynn. For information, call the lodge at 596-2582.
• Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 to host barbecue, starting at 3 p.m., 9135 Denton Ave., Hudson. The menu includes barbecue pork, coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans and corn on the cob. Music by Jim and Jim will be from 3 to 7 p.m., followed by karaoke with Annie. Tickets are $8 if purchased in advance or $11 at the door; tickets for children 9 and younger are $4. Tickets are available in the bar at the lodge. For information, call (727) 863-2520.
• Independence Day picnic celebration, noon to 5 p.m. Saturday, Marine Corps League Detachment 708, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville. The cost is $15, which includes hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as free draft beer and soda. Richie G will provide musical entertainment. Tickets are available in the lounge. Call 597-7979.