Health and support
Alzheimer's Family Organization: The following will be offered:
• Alzheimer's Caregiver Day — What You Need to Know, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 2, Bayfront Health Dade City, Room 108, 13100 Fort King Road, Dade City. Speakers will include Dr. Mildred Farmer of Meridien Research, Edna Clayton of Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders, and attorney Matthew Barry of the Nature Coast Law Offices of Gregory Gay. Registration required by Friday. $10 for organization members and $25 for nonmembers; includes refreshments, lunch and a certificate of attendance.
• Caregiver support groups: 1 p.m. Mondays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Medical Arts Building, Suite 120, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville; John Winans, (352) 232-0081. 1 p.m. the second Wednesday of each month, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Medical Arts Building, Suite 105, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Pam Penna, (352) 688-1262. 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month, Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. John Winans, (352) 232-0081. 5:30 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail, Spring Hill. Lori Rocchi, (352) 397-1212.
Understanding Your Medicare Choices: Get questions about Medicare answered at one of the following programs:
• 1 to 2:30 p.m. May 1, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
• 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 5, West Hernando Branch/S.T. Foggia Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill.
• 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 7, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
The program is free. Advanced registration suggested. (352) 754-4043.
'Choose to Quit' tobacco cessation class: 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. today, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave. A specialist will help participants prepare to quit, develop a plan for a tobacco-free lifestyle and provide the tools necessary to prevent a relapse. A free one-month supply of nicotine replacement (patches, lozenges or gum) is available. Offered through the Gulfcoast North Area Health Education Center. Free. (352) 754-4043 or gnahec.org.
Lighthouse Health Fair: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 2, Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind, 6492 California St. There will be a number of agencies participating that provide social services, health care, technology and visual rehabilitation. There will be a white cane demonstration and door prizes and various screenings offered (hearing, blood pressure, etc.). Some participating agencies and programs include Affordable Health Care, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services of Florida , Fire Corps and Elder Options. Rose Montgomery or Theresa Santana, (352) 754-1132.
Access Health Care lecture: "Your Skin is Your Largest and Most Noticeable Organ — How to Take Care of It," 5:15 p.m. May 1, 5350 Spring Hill Drive. Presented by Dr. Maria Scunziano-Singh. RSVP to (352) 688-8116.
Caring for Cancer support group: 5 to 6 p.m. May 1, Oak Hill Hospital, administration conference room, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Alan Schukman, (352) 597-6095.
Diabetic Education Series presents 'Tips for Managing Blood Glucose': 1 p.m. May 5, Access Healthcare, 4270 Lake in the Woods Drive. Presented by Verna Pedersen Runyan, a nurse practitioner. Seating is limited; reservations required. Jeanna or Mariah, (352) 597-7249.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: The following are offered at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive:
Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG and T-Net): 7 to 9 p.m. Monday, Spring Hill United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd. T-Net is PFLAG's Transgender Network. (352) 234-6702 or email@example.com. Web: pflaghernando.org or facebook.com/pflaghernando.
'Partnering with Your Doctor: A Guide for Persons with Memory Problems and their Care Partners' workshop: 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Friday, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. Free, but reservations requested. Carla Hayes, (352) 597-1882.
'Chatterboxes' support group: 3 p.m. May 1, Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54. The group is for individuals suffering from communication deficits, such as aphasia, apraxia or dysathria. Caregivers and spouses are encouraged to attend. (727) 834-4445.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Must include time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable), contact person and phone number. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.