Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Oak Hill Hospitals Senior Partners Club (behind the hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
• 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month, Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, 11291 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Sandy Croson, (352) 799-1422.
• 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 550 U.S. 41 S, Inverness. Cathy Heaps, (352) 527-4600.
• Online support group, noon Wednesdays at alzsupport.com. Message boards are open at all times to post questions and leave replies.
To reach the Alzheimer's Association's local office, call (352) 688-4537.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: Caregiver support groups — 1 p.m. Mondays, Brooksville Regional Hospital, Medical Arts Building, Suite 120, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville; 1 p.m. Wednesdays, Spring Hill Regional Hospital Medical Arts Building, Suite 105, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill; 2 p.m. Aug. 18, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Maria Curley, (727) 992-1358.
Hospice Bereavement Support Groups: HPH Hospice offers ongoing bereavement support groups for adults grieving the death of a loved one. The groups meet at the following HPH team offices:
• 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, 12260 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill.
• 3 to 4 p.m. Mondays, 698 S Broad St., Brooksville.
There is no cost and no reservations are required. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784. Web: hph-hospice.org.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando offers the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive (Brothers I and II Plaza), Spring Hill:
• Family support group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. Another group meets 1 to 3 p.m. the second and fourth Fridays at the Brooksville Regional Hospital Enrichment Center, Room 120 of the Medical Arts Building, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville. The groups are for family members of loved ones who have a mental illness. Call (352) 596-1541 or the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
• Support Group for Business Professionals, 5 to 6:30 p.m. the second and third Thursdays. This group is for anyone experiencing a form of mental illness such as depression, ADD, OCD, bipolar, anxiety and others. Call David for the location, (352) 232-0351.
• Consumer support groups, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. The group is for adults who have been diagnosed with a mental illness who are interested in speaking with others who share similar problems.
Call the Beautiful Mind at (352) 684-0004. Visit namihernandofl.org or NAMI.org .
Weight Watchers: For area meetings, call toll-free 1-800-651-6000.
Alzheimer's Support Group: 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Spring Oaks Assisted Living Facility, 7251 Grove Road, west of Brooksville. RSVP to (352) 277-6277.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Jackie, (352) 754-4131.
'Maintain HOPE in a Toxic World' health lecture: 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 25, Get Healthy Brooksville Natural Foods, 1254 S Broad St., Brooksville. The speaker is Tracy Hutchinson, who will discuss the HOPE solution (high fiber, omega oils, probiotics and enzymes), how poor digestion and a toxic body can affect health and weight, how simple diet and lifestyle changes can improve a sluggish digestive system and help achieve healthy weight management. The lecture is free and includes free door prizes and samples. Seating limited. RSVP to (352) 796-9798.
Smoking cessation specialist available at Health Department: Hernando County Health Department, with Gulf Coast Area Health Education Center, offers free one-on-one counseling to help residents kick the tobacco habit. Trained tobacco cessation specialist Veronique Polo is available every Wednesday at the Brooksville clinic, 300 S Main St. She provides education, quitting strategies and support, and information and access to free nicotine replacement therapy (patches, gum, lozenges). For information, call (813) 929-1000 or visit gnahec.org. To schedule an appointment, call (352) 540-6800.
Take of Pounds Sensibly 208: 6 p.m. Thursdays, Gulf Ridge Park Church, 20200 Manecke Road. Linda Ward, (352) 796-1236.
Ridge Manor West
Take Off Pounds Sensibly 530: 8:15 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays, First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive. Meeting starts at 9 a.m. Evelyn, (352) 796-0477.
Al-Anon: Adult children focused step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Meetings are open to all Al-Anon members and anyone suffering from the confusion of being raised in a home where alcohol was a problem. Toll-free 1-888-4AL-ANON (425-2666).
Healthy Water Seminar: Offered 7 p.m. the first and third Thursday of each month. Learn how alkaline antioxidant water can improve hydration and how it acts as a nutritional catalyst. Those attending will receive free samples. Free. For location and reservations, call Joan, (352) 686-8180.
Look Good, Feel Better program for female cancer patients: 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Florida Cancer Institute-New Hope, 10441 Quality Drive, Suite 203, in the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital. Peggy Beckett, facilitator, (352) 688-7744.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 597-5315, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Multiple Myeloma Support Group: 6 p.m. Wednesday, Partner's Club at Oak Hill Hospital, 11375 Cortez Blvd. Pat Killingsworth, (715) 271-5037 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overeaters Anonymous: Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 604, weigh-in from 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. and meeting 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Learn how you can be "Queen for a Day" at the yearly Florida State Recognition Day. There is no cost to attend a meeting. TOPS is a weight-loss management program for men and women and has a philosophy of combining healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support from others. Membership dues are $26 a year ($4 per month). Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 461, 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Dorothy Kuta, (352) 596-6697, or Pat Gall, (352) 688-6755. TOPS is a weight-loss support group that promotes successful weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or e-mail email@example.com. Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.