Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Oak Hill Hospital H2U Partner's Club, 11361 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Free day care available with reservations. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
• 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 550 U.S. 41 S, Inverness. Sue Piatek, (352) 228-4399.
• 1 p.m. the second Monday, First United Methodist Church, 8831 W Bradshaw St., Homosassa. Free day care provided with reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 228-4399.
• 2 p.m. the third Saturday, Crystal River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 136 Northeast 12th Ave., Crystal River. Free day care provided with reservations. Christina DiPiazza, (352) 795-5044.
Visit the Alzheimer's Association website at alz.org. To reach the local office, call (352) 688-4537 or toll-free 1-800-272-3900.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: The following caregiver support groups are offered:
• 1 p.m. Mondays, Bayfront Health Brooksville Enrichment Center, Medical Arts Building, Suite 120, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville; John Winans, (352) 232-0081.
• 1 p.m. the second Wednesday, Bayfront Health Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Medical Arts Building, Suite 105, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Pam Penna, (352) 688-1262.
• 1 p.m. the third Tuesday, Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. John Winans, (352) 232-0081.
• 5:30 p.m. the third Wednesday, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail, Spring Hill. Lori Rocchi, (352) 397-1212.
Hernando County Ostomy Association: 2 to 4 p.m. today, Bayfront Health Brooksville, 17249 Cortez Blvd. (first-floor Conference Room 2). Bob Barnard, (352) 442-9787, or Linda Ravenhorst, (352) 686-1956.
Traumatic Brain Injury Support Group: 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Bayfront Health Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Kenneth C. Fischer will speak. Fischer has more than 40 years of postdoctoral experience in neuropsychological evaluation and is an expert in the use of the Halstead-Reitan battery. The meeting is for brain injury survivors and their families. (352) 556-5516.
Al-Anon: Adult Children Focused Step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Oak Hill Hospital H2U Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind the hospital). Open to Al-Anon members wishing to gain a better understanding of the 12 steps and those suffering from the confusion of being raised in a home where alcohol was a problem. These meetings are closed to the public. Toll-free 1-888-425-2666.
Nature Coast Multiple Myeloma Support Group: 6 p.m. today, Oak Hill Hospital H2U Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd. Meet myeloma patients, family members and learn more about treatment and management options. A complimentary dinner buffet will be served. Richard Blustein, (352) 428-4536 or [email protected]
Smoking cessation program: Gulfcoast North Area Health Education Center and Hernando County Health Department will offer Tools to Quit, a free tobacco cessation program, at the following locations:
• 10 a.m. to noon today, Crescent Community Clinic, 5244 Commercial Way, Spring Hill.
• 3 to 5 p.m. Jan. 30, Hernando County Health Department, 7551 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill.
This is a one-time two-hour class. Those who take this class may also participate in the IQuit program, which includes a free four-week supply of nicotine replacement therapy — patches, gum or lozenges. Registration for classes is required. (813) 929-1000, ext. 213 or gnahec.org.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or email [email protected] Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Must include time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable), contact person and phone number. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.