Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Oak Hill Hospital's Senior Partners Club (behind the hospital), 11361 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009. Free day care available with advanced reservations.
• 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 550 U.S. 41 S, Inverness. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600.
• 5 p.m. the fourth Tuesday, Emeritus at Barrington Place, 2341 W Norvell Bryant Highway, Lecanto. Free day care provided with advanced reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600
• 1 p.m. the second Monday, First United Methodist Church, 8831 W Bradshaw St., Homosassa. Free day care provided with advanced reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600.
Visit the Alzheimer's Association website at alz.org. To reach the local office, call (352) 688-4537 or toll-free 1-800-772-8672.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: Caregiver support group, 1 p.m. Wednesday, Spring Hill Regional Hospital, Suite 105, Medical Arts Building, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Weekly support group, 1 p.m. Mondays, Brooksville Regional Hospital, Medical Arts Building, Suite 120, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville. John Winans, (352) 232-0081.
Elder Abuse Hotline: To report suspected cases of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation, or those 60 or older who are being hurt or taken advantage of by someone you know, call toll-free 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337) or 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Sponsored by the Florida Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando will offer the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill:
• "Dual Diagnosis" presentation, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. Barbara Ghen from Wellspring Counseling Center and Martha Rodriguez from Baycare will speak and answer questions about dual diagnosis. Both women are certified addiction specialists. A person who has both an alcohol or drug problem, as well as an emotional or psychiatric problem, is said to have a dual diagnosis. There is no cost to attend. The public is welcome. Call the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
• Perinatal/postpartum depression support group, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Conducted by a licensed counselor. To register, call Mariann Eckman, (352) 683-1350 or the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
• Family support group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. For family members of loved ones who have a mental illness. Call the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
• Wellness and Recovery group, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays; Wellness Support group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. The group is for adults living with a mental illness. Call the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
Visit namihernandofl.org or NAMI.org.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120 of the Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Call (352) 544-6022.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105 of the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 684-7568.
• Appointments may be scheduled at the Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 544-6022.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free at 1-800-262-2243.
'Tools to Quit Smoking' program: The Hernando County Health Department and Gulfcoast North Area Health Education Center will offer free quit tobacco programs at the following locations:
• 1 to 3:30 p.m. Friday and again on Dec. 7, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville.
• 2 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and again on Dec. 11, Partner's Club at Oak Hill Hospital, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill (behind the hospital).
• 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday and again on Dec. 12, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill.
Optional free nicotine replacement therapy is offered, and include patches, gum or lozenges. The program is funded by the Florida Department of Health. To register, call (813) 929-1000, ext. 213, or contact Veronique Polo at [email protected]
Weight Watchers: For area meetings, call toll-free 1-800-651-6000.
Al-Anon: Adult Children Focused Step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Toll-free 1-888-425-2666.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Email [email protected]
Hernando County Ostomy Association: 7 p.m. Nov. 15, Brooksville Regional Hospital, first-floor Conference Room 2, 17249 Cortez Blvd. A representative from Terlep Chiropractic Clinic will speak. Ellen Boldt, (352) 597-5426, or Linda Ravenhorst, (352) 686-1956.
Hernando Gift Room: This free service, provided by the American Cancer Society, is open noon to 4 p.m. Wednesdays at 14540 Cortez Blvd., Suite 203, in the Pinebrook Regional Medical Center, west of Brooksville. The Gift Room provides uninsured and under-insured patients with free wigs, hats and head coverings (scarves, kerchiefs, beanies and knitted caps), prosthesis and mastectomy bras, as well as emotional support for people going through chemotherapy. To learn more, call the American Cancer Society toll-free at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
Memory Screenings: The Alzheimer's Family Organization will offer free memory screenings at a Brooksville location onTuesday. Appointments must be scheduled. Those interested may call (727) 848-8888 or toll-free 1-888-496-8004.
Take of Pounds Sensibly 208: 6 p.m. Thursdays, Gulf Ridge Park Church, 20200 Manecke Road. Linda Ward, (352) 796-1236.
Ridge Manor West
Take Off Pounds Sensibly 530: 8:15 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays, First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive. Meeting starts at 9 a.m. Evelyn, (352) 796-0477.
Crescent Community Clinic: The clinic, 5244 Commercial Way (Winchester Plaza), provides primary medical, dental and mental health services to uninsured adults ages 18-64 who meet the federal poverty guidelines. Those wishing to receive services from the nonprofit, volunteer-staffed clinic must first apply for services. To apply, potential patients must visit the website at crescentclinic.org and download the application on the first page. The clinic is staffed by volunteers from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For information, call (352) 610-9916. Potential patients are not to call the office for appointments.
Gamblers Anonymous: 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. New members welcome. Coffee and refreshments served. (352) 688-9034.
High Point Health Fair: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, High Point Community Center, 12249 Club House Road. Includes medical vendors, flu and pneumonia shots by Maxim Health Care (bring photo ID and medical cards), diabetes screenings courtesy of the High Point Lions Club and blood-pressure screenings courtesy of the High Point Volunteer Fire Department. There will be prizes from vendors. Sponsored by the High Point Ladies Fire Auxiliary. (352) 597-3852 or (352) 596-8485.
Holiday Grief Workshop: 3 p.m. today, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. Led by a hospice bereavement counselor who will give tips on coping with grief during the holiday season. The workshop will also be offered Dec. 11. Preregistration requested. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784. Web: hph-hospice.org.
Hospice Bereavement Support Group: 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. This is an ongoing bereavement support group for adults grieving the death of a loved one. There is no cost and no reservations required. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784. Web: hph-hospice.org.
'Lose Your Belly: Shape Up' lecture: 5:15 p.m. today, Access Healthcare, 5350 Spring Hill Drive. The speaker will be Dr. Maria Scunziano-Singh, a medical doctor, and Dr. Nyree Abdool, an alternative medicine practitioner. Abdool will discuss her alternative medicine practice and describe chelation and other alternative treatments for a variety of health problems, including weight reduction. RSVP to (352) 688-8116.
Lupus Support Group: 1 p.m. Saturday. Call for location. (352) 683-5168.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 593-4736, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Nature Coast Multiple Myeloma Support Group: 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oak Hill Hospital Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind the hospital). The speaker will be Dr. Vikas Malhotra of the Florida Cancer Specialists and Research Center. A complimentary dinner buffet will be served. Richard Blustein, (352) 428-4536 or [email protected], or Herb and Dianne Terry, (352) 621-0672 or [email protected]
Overeaters Anonymous: 5:15 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 2301 Deltona Blvd. Option coffee and fellowship will follow the meeting. This is a newly formed group. Ann, (352) 346-6962, or Julie, (352) 688-2877. New Beginnings group, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Fridays, also at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. Betty, (352) 666-1710. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Tai chi for Parkinson's patients: 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Body Fitness, 5181 Mariner Blvd. Sponsored by USF Health and the National Parkinson Foundation. The free classes improve flexibility and balance. (352) 556-1489.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 746, 8:30 to 10 a.m. Wednesdays, Grace Presbyterian Church, Building B, 8375 Spring Hill Drive. Patti, (352) 597-6869, or Sue, (352) 688-5209. TOPS 604, Weigh-in from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. and meeting 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088. TOPS is a weight-loss management program for men and women, and has a philosophy of combining healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support from others.
'Understanding Your Medicare Options' program: 10 a.m. Friday, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. The discussion will include Medicare and what it covers, Medicare Advantage, Medicare D (prescription drugs) and how to compare plans while looking at out-of-pocket limits. There will be time for questions and answers. Advance registration is recommended. RSVP to (352) 754-4043.
Grief Share — Surviving the Holidays: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Christian Church in the Wildwood, Building B, 10051 Country Road. The cost for the workbook is $5. Register online at ccwildwood.com (click on "Register for Events"). (352) 596-1388, ext. 224.
Overeaters Anonymous: Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 461, 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Dorothy Kuta, (352) 596-6697, or Pat Gall, (352) 688-6755. TOPS is a weight loss support group that promotes successful weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support.
Lymphedema Support Group: 3 p.m. Nov. 15, Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54. RSVP to (727) 834-5630.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or email [email protected] Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.