There will be no shortage of thrills and chills this weekend as Halloween is celebrated in Hernando County. Whether you're looking for a good scare, family fun or safe alternatives to trick-or-treating, you can find a variety of events for all ages:
• SPOOK WEST, 8 p.m.-1 a.m. today and Saturday, Stage West Community Playhouse, 8390 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Come tour the haunted theater. The cost is $5 for the first tour, $3 for a second. Stage West also will serve as a kid-friendly site for trick-or-treating from 2-5 p.m. Sunday. Call (352) 683-5113.
• WILD 'N' WICKED NIGHTS, 7-11 p.m. today and Saturday, Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, 6131 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. Includes a haunted boat ride, mermaid show, kids' maze, a "Maze of No Return," and scream and costume contests. Admission is $13 for adults, $8 for ages 6-12, free for ages 5 and younger (pass holders get 50 percent off admission). Call (352) 592-5656.
• HAUNTED TRAIL, 7:30-10 p.m. today and Saturday, 5277 Golddust Road, Spring Hill. Take a guided tour through a wooded trail and help hunt down the witch. Appropriate footwear required. The cost is $5, which will benefit the Humane Society of Hernando County. Call (352) 263-8044.
• HERNANDO HERITAGE MUSEUM'S HAUNTED HOUSE, 7-11 p.m. today and Saturday, 601 Museum Court, Brooksville. Outdoors, there will be fireside stories, fortune-telling, games and face painting. Refreshments will be available. Inside, the museum will be transformed into a haunted house. Tours of the house are $5 and are recommended for ages 8 and older. Call (352) 799-0129.
• HAUNTED HOUSE TO BENEFIT LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, 6-10 p.m. today and Saturday, 11075 Hearth Road, Spring Hill. Admission is a canned/nonperishable food item or a dead electronics item (cell phone, cords, computer monitors, laptops, keyboards, etc.). Call (352) 678-4330.
• HORROR HIGH: MAZE OF TERROR, 8 p.m.-midnight Saturday, Springstead High School, 3300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. The high school will be transformed into 13 different scare zones with more than 200 students participating in this walk-through haunted house. The cost is $7 for adults, $5 for students. Call (352) 797-7010, ext. 251.
• FALL FESTIVAL, 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Eden Baptist Church, 22308 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville. Free games, hot dogs, chili and candy. Nonscary costumes are welcome. There also will be an optional barbecue pork dinner for $5, which will benefit missionaries Robbie and Joy Pritz to support their service in Southeast Asia. Call (352) 796-3855.
• HARVEST FEST, 6-8:30 p.m. Saturday, Christian Life Assembly of God, 13065 Jacqueline Road, Spring Hill. Includes games, inflatable activities, a maze, dunk tank, hay ride, food, clowns, candy and prizes. Free admission. Call (352) 597-1139.
• TRAIL OF TREATS, 6-9 p.m. Sunday, Christian Church in the Wildwood, Building A, 10051 Country Road, Weeki Wachee. Includes inflatables, cotton candy, popcorn and lots of candy. Free. Call (352) 596-1388, ext. 224.
• HALLELUJAH NIGHT, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Sunday, Bridge Christian Life Center, 7279 Pinehurst Drive, Spring Hill. This is an alternative for trick-or-treating and includes games, candy and prizes. Call (352) 683-2863 (between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. weekdays).
• MUSICAL LIGHT HALLOWEEN SHOW, 7-9:30 p.m. today, 7-10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 18609 Floralton Drive, Spring Hill. This is a two-house display.
• HALLOWEEN HOUSE, 7-11 p.m. Sunday, 2322 Meadow Lark Road, Spring Hill.
• TRUNK OR TREAT, 6-8 p.m. Sunday, Christ Lutheran Church, 475 North Ave. W, Brooksville. Includes candy, games, hayrides and food. Call (352) 796-8331.
• FALL FUN FESTIVAL, 5 p.m. Sunday, Spring Lake United Methodist Church, 4191 Spring Lake Highway, Spring Lake. Bring chairs and blankets for a musical variety show. There will be games with candy, a bonfire and free hot dogs, drinks and s'mores. Prizes awarded in contests for best hot wings and pumpkin carving. Pumpkins must be finished upon arrival. Call (352) 799-7028.
Phyllis Day, Times staff writer