Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. first Thursday each month, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2 p.m. the second Tuesday at Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, 11291 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Sandy Croson, (352) 799-1422.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: The following programs are offered through the Alzheimer's Family Organization to residents of Hernando, Citrus, Pasco, Sumter and Lake counties:
• Caregiver support groups — 1 p.m. Mondays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center (behind Oak Hill Hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill; Maria Curley, (727) 856-2196.
• Respite Assistance Program — for caregivers of a dementia or Alzheimer's disease sufferer. The Alzheimer's Family Organization also will provide other national respite resources that can reimburse costs to caregivers.
• Wanderers Identification Program — provides the person with a memory disorder with an identifying bracelet or pendant with a code number and direct number to the Sheriff's Office. If the person becomes lost or wanders from home, they can be identified through a shared database that houses essential patient information and caregiver contacts.
Call AFO at (727) 848-8888 or toll-free at 1-888-496-8004.
Elder Abuse Hotline: To report suspected cases of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation, or those 60 or older who are being hurt or taken advantage of by someone you know, call toll-free 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337) or 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Sponsored by the Florida Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando offers the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive (Brothers I and II Plaza), Spring Hill:
• Family to Family, 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 20. This is a 12-week program for friends or family members of a person with a known or suspected diagnosis of a brain disease or mental illness. Registration required. Call Judy, (352) 544-0352, or Mariann, (352) 683-1350.
• Family Support Group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. This group is for families to meet and talk with others who understand adult mental illness.
• Consumer Support Group, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays. The group is for adults who have been diagnosed with a mental illness who are interested in speaking with others who share similar problems.
Call the Beautiful Mind at (352) 684-0004. Visit namihernando.org or NAMI.org.
Operation Veteran and Family Support Network: Support and assistance offered to members of the military, veterans and their families through these free support groups led by mental health counselors with the Harbor Behavioral Health Care. Meetings are 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursdays at three Harbor locations:
• 7074 Grove Road, Brooksville
• 14527 Seventh St., Dade City
• 8002 King Helie Blvd., New Port Richey.
For information, call (352) 232-4770 or (727) 420-7943.
Quit Smoking Now: The Florida Department of Health, the Gulf Coast North Area Health Education Center and Tobacco Free Hernando will offer free classes at the following locations:
• 3 to 4 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 3, 10 and 24, Career Central, 7361 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill.
• 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 3, 10 and 24, Brooksville Regional Hospital, Room 248, 17240 Cortez Blvd., west of Brooksville.
To register for either class, call (813) 929-1000.
Those who cannot attend a class can call the Florida quit line toll-free at 1-877-822-6669 to speak with a quit coach, who will help assess the user's addiction and create a personalized quit plan. Online counseling is also available; enroll at quitnow.net/florida for a web-based quit plan.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville.
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Spring Hill United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill.
• 11 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Little Red Schoolhouse Bookstore, 1208 Kenlake Ave., Spring Hill.
• Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesdays, East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free at 1-800-262-2243.
Weight Watchers: For area meetings, call toll-free 1-800-651-6000.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Val, (352) 596-2492.
GriefShare Sessions: 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Brooksville Wesleyan Church, 8168 Jasmine Drive. Designed for those who recently lost a loved one. (352) 799-3066.
Reiki Clinic: 7 p.m. Fridays, Inner Peace Bookstore and Wellness Center, 421 W Jefferson St. Sponsored by Inner Peace Church of the Spirit. Maria, (352) 544-0304, or Vicki, (352) 442-1240.
Ridge Manor West
Take Off Pounds Sensibly 530: 8:15 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays, First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive. Meeting starts at 9 a.m. Evelyn, (352) 796-0477.
Al-Anon: Adult children focused step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Meetings are open to all Al-Anon members and anyone suffering from the confusion of being raised in a home where alcohol was a problem. Toll-free 1-888-425-2666.
Alateen: 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd. Rose, (352) 200-8646.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 597-5315, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Overeaters Anonymous: Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Parkinson's Support Group: Tai Chi group for those with Parkinson's and their caregivers, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Body Fitness, 5181 Mariner Drive. Charlene Miller, (352) 688-7261, or Barbara Kent, (352) 666-1584.
The Respite Room: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive. This weekly program is a partnership between the church and CARES (Community Aging and Retirement Services Inc.) to provide activities and social time for those with memory challenges such as dementia or Alzheimer's disease while their caregivers get time off. Call to schedule a complimentary visit. Chris Powers, (727) 863-6868, or Cindy McLoud, (352) 683-2600.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 604, weigh-in 8:30 to 9:15 a.m., meeting at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd.; Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088.
Xtreme Losers: Tuesdays, Regency Oaks Clubhouse, 4445 Breakwater Blvd. Zumba from 6 to 7 p.m. for $2; education, tastings and support from 7 to 8 p.m. This is a weight-loss support group. RSVP to Cheryl Vanscoter, (814) 203-0222, or LuAnne Stout, (352) 585-3992.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 461, 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Dorothy Kuta, (352) 596-6697, or Pat Gall, (352) 688-6755 . TOPS is a weight loss support group that promotes successful weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.