Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2 p.m. the second Tuesday at Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, 11291 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Sandy Croson, (352) 799-1422.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: The following programs are offered through the Alzheimer's Family Organization to residents of Hernando, Citrus, Pasco, Sumter and Lake counties:
• Caregiver support groups — 1 p.m. Mondays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center (behind Oak Hill Hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill; Maria Curley, (727) 856-2196.
• Respite Assistance Program — for caregivers of a dementia or Alzheimer's disease sufferer. The Alzheimer's Family Organization also will provide other national respite resources that can reimburse costs to caregivers.
• Wanderers Identification Program — provides the person with a memory disorder with an identifying bracelet or pendant with a code number and direct telephone number to the Sheriff's Office. If the person becomes lost or wanders from home, they can be identified through a shared database that houses essential patient information and caregiver contacts.
For information, call AFO at (727) 848-8888 or toll-free at 1-888-496-8004.
Elder Abuse Hotline: To report suspected cases of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation, or those 60 or older who are being hurt or taken advantage of by someone you know, call toll-free 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337) or 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Sponsored by the Florida Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando offers the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive (Brothers I and II Plaza), Spring Hill:
• Family to Family, 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 20. This is a 12-week program for friends or family members of a person with a known or suspected diagnosis of a brain disease or mental illness. Registration is required. Call Judy, (352) 544-0352, or Mariann, (352) 683-1350.
• Family Support Group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. This group is for families to meet and talk with others who understand adult mental illness.
• Consumer support group, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Beautiful Mind. The group is for adults who have been diagnosed with a mental illness who are interested in speaking with others who share similar problems.
Call the Beautiful Mind at (352) 684-0004. Visit namihernando.org or NAMI.org.
Operation Veteran and Family Support Network: Support and assistance offered to members of the military, veterans and their families through these free support groups led by mental health counselors with the Harbor Behavioral Health Care. Meetings are 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursdays at three Harbor locations:
• 7074 Grove Road, Brooksville
• 14527 Seventh St., Dade City
• 8002 King Helie Blvd., New Port Richey.
For information, call (352) 232-4770 or (727) 420-7943.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville.
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Spring Hill United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill.
• 11 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Little Red Schoolhouse Bookstore, 1208 Kenlake Ave., Spring Hill.
• Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesdays, East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free at 1-800-262-2243.
Brooksville Regional hosts Hospital Visitation Seminar and Hospital Volunteer Chaplains Seminar: 8 a.m. to noon Jan. 13, Pine Brook Medical Center, 14540 Cortez Blvd. The Rev. Larry Pope, chaplain for Health Management Associates, will facilitate. The goals of the seminar is to enhance a minister's skills in meeting members' spiritual needs while in the hospital, to train lay leaders to visit in the hospital and to train ministers and lay leaders who are interested in becoming a volunteer hospital chaplain. Breakfast and snacks served. RSVP to (352) 797-4645 or e-mail email@example.com.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Val, (352) 596-2492.
Crescent Community Clinic: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Jan. 15, 656 S Broad St. This is a volunteer-based walk-in clinic for low- to moderate-income residents who do not have health insurance. Proof of income and a photo ID are required for services. Patients are asked to not arrive before 9:30 a.m. The clinic is open on the first, second and third Saturdays of each month. Donations are welcome (the clinic does not receive federal, state or county funding and relies on donations). (352) 799-5500; Maureen Soliman, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Barbara Sweinberg, email@example.com.
Diabetic Support Group: 4 p.m. Monday, Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17240 Cortez Blvd. Sponsored by Horizon Homecare. (352) 684-3550.
GriefShare Sessions: 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Brooksville Wesleyan Church, 8168 Jasmine Drive. Designed for those who recently lost a loved one. (352) 799-3066.
Reiki Clinic: 7 p.m. Fridays, Inner Peace Bookstore and Wellness Center, 421 W Jefferson St. Sponsored by the Inner Peace Church of the Spirit. Maria, (352) 544-0304, or Vicki, (352) 442-1240.
Al-Anon: Adult children focused step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Meetings are open to all Al-Anon members and anyone suffering from the confusion of being raised in a home where alcohol was a problem. Toll-free 1-888-4AL-ANON (425-2666).
Alateen: 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd. Rose, (352) 200-8646.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services offers hearing screenings and wax removal: Tuesday, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd., behind Oak Hill Hospital. Amplified and text telephones and ring signaling devices are also available at no cost for those who qualify (must be older than 3 and be certified as deaf, hard of hearing, deaf/blind or speech impaired). Call to schedule an appointment, (727) 853-1010 or toll-free 1-866-685-9477.
Extreme Fitness Open House, Health Fair and Fundraiser for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 15, 4212 Commercial Way. Includes numerous vendors from health care fields, including chiropractic, massage, physical therapy, plastic surgery, cardiology testing and others. There will be free food, entertainment and exercise classes. There will also be a raffle to win a variety of services and products, including a one-year membership to Extreme Fitness. All proceeds benefit St. Jude's. (352) 610-4362.
Florida Cancer Institute offers Caregiver Support Group: 4 to 5 p.m. Jan. 13, Florida Cancer Center-New Hope, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, Suite 203, 10441 Quality Drive. Pamela McGee, (352) 688-7744.
Grief's Journey Bereavement Group: 2 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 18-March 8, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. A hospice bereavement counselor will help the group understand and deal with the challenges associated with grief over the death of a loved one. There is no cost to participate. Registration required. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 597-5315, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Parents and Families/Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG Hernando): Organizational meeting, 7 p.m. Monday, Spring Hill United Church of Christ, fellowship hall, 4244 Mariner Blvd. This meeting is to establish a local chapter for education and support of those facing issues related to sexual orientation or gender identity. PFLAG is a national nonprofit organization. (352) 597-4041, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit pflag.org.
Parkinson's Disease Support Group: Tai Chi group for those with Parkinson's and their caregivers, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Body Fitness, 5181 Mariner Drive. Charlene Miller, (352) 688-7261, or Barbara Kent, (352) 666-1584.
The Respite Room: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive. This weekly program is a partnership between the church and CARES (Community Aging and Retirement Services Inc.) to provide activities and social time for those with memory challenges such as dementia or Alzheimer's disease while their caregivers get time off. Call to schedule a complimentary visit. Chris Powers, (727) 863-6868, or Cindy McLoud, (352) 683-2600.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or e-mail email@example.com. Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.