Health and support
Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Coast Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Oak Hill Hospital H2U Partner's Club, 11361 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Free day care available with reservations. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
• 11 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 550 U.S. 41 S, Inverness. Sue Piatek, (352) 228-4399.
• 1 p.m. the second Monday of each month, First United Methodist Church, 8831 W Bradshaw St., Homosassa. Free day care provided with reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 228-4399.
• 10:30 a.m. the third Friday of each month, Floral City United Methodist Church, 8480 E Marvin St., Floral City. Sue Piatek, (352) 228-4399.
• 2 p.m. the third Saturday of each month, Crystal River Health and Rehabilitation Center, 136 Northeast 12th Ave., Crystal River. Free day care provided with reservations. Christina DiPiazza, (352) 795-5044.
Visit the Alzheimer's Association website at alz.org. To reach the local office, call (352) 688-4537 or toll-free 1-800-272-3900.
Separated, Divorced and Widowed Group Weekly Ministry: 7:30 p.m. Mondays, 10172 Patrick St. The purpose of this group is to resolve underlying issues for healing. Private counseling appointments are also available. (352) 754-1009.
'Affordable Care Act and You': 2 to 5 p.m. Friday, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. The Hernando County Public Library System and the Nature Coast Community Health Center have teamed up to offer a series of programs to assist with explaining Affordable Care Act health care plans. Certified assistant counselors will be available to explain eligibility requirements, outline the different plans available and assist with signing up. Appointments are recommended. (352) 540-6842.
Quit Smoking Now: 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 8 to Feb. 12, Hernando County Health Department, 7551 Forest Oaks Blvd. Provided by the Gulfcoast North Area Health Education Center, this is a free six-week tobacco cessation program. Participants can receive, at no cost, an optional four-week supply of free nicotine replacement therapy, including patches, lozenges or gum. Registration is required. Call (813) 929-1000, ext. 213. Web: gnahec.org.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or email email@example.com. The deadline for this news is two weeks before the event or reservation deadline. You must include the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable), contact person and phone number. For more information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.